Tuesday, March 07, 2006

E is for Egg, Darning Egg that is!

Being an avid sock knitter I'm always on the look out for new patterns, new yarns and new gadgets that make my sock knitting easier and even more enjoyable.

Meet one of my favorites, my Darning Egg!


Isn't he handsome? He's carved from Bloodwood!


I've introduced my Darning Egg on the blog before but in honor of the letter E I thought I would revisit just how wonderful this Egg is!

I'm almost finished knitting the Lacy Scallops that I'm knitting for my Sockapaloooza pal so I was ready to graft the final toe stitches together using the Kitchener stitch, or Special K as La calls it.

Note the incredibly cool sock CHIBI in it's natural habitat :)


As I work the grafting, I concentrate on the the steps....knit front off, purl front on...purl back off, knit back on.....


But I don't worry about the tension of my stitches, I just concentrate on the execution....knit front off, purl front on....purl back off, knit back on.....


Just keep stitching, just keep stitching.....


Off the needles yet all loose and uneven until.....

I slip the sock toe over my Darning Egg and presto! nice even, easily visible stitches......



I use my needle to tighten the stitches one by one, working the slack across the row.......


And VOILA! a perfectly grafted sock toe every time!


I LOVE my Egg but if you don't tell our sponsor, the letter E, I'll tell you a little secret.....If you aren't lucky enough to have an Egg of your own, try a lightbulb :)
Even the dreaded Kitchener stitch is easy with the right tools!!

ETA: If you'd like to obtain a beautiful darning egg like mine, you can get one HERE


Now Pumpkin has a secret too....he wants to show off our new CARPET!! Yes, post hurricane recovery continues here at Chez FKD

He's a bit tentative at first.....



But in minutes my P-Man's right at home and as cute as ever! (even tho this carpet photographs blue it's actually a really pretty dark green)


Now we need all the walls painted and some new vertical blinds for the sliding glass door (instead of the glamorous SHEET that is hanging there now) and Chez FKD will be better than ever.....just in time for hurricane season!!! D'OH!!!

I'll be back to show off the finished and blocked
Lacy Scallops as soon as they are dry and I'll show off my color scheme for the crocheted Carnival Afghan because the Knitpicks order is due to arrive tomorrow!

27 comments:

Agnes said...

Oh ... I think I didn't pay attention last time you introduced your egg ... now I know how to use it! Before you mentioned the light bulb, I was thinking ... I could find something round in the house to do that. Yeah, a light bulb is good. Thanks for the tip!
Some day I am going to feel the silky smooth fur of P-Man in cat! :D

Alison said...

I thought the egg was gorgeous the first time I saw it and it still is! I wouldn't dare use a lightbulb as I am a huge klutz and would likely end up breaking it somehow, so I have to get one of those eggs! (Where did you get yours?)

May the hurricane season leave you alone this year.

Carole Knits said...

I have an old darning egg that was my nana's. I never knew you could use it to kitchener. I'm going to try that next time - thanks for the tutorial! And congrats to you and the Pman on the new rug.

Jes said...

Where does one obtain such a fabulous object? I would love to have one, since I'm thinking that special K is the way I'm going to go with my socks ;)

The carpet is awesome. Less sliding for the P-man ;) I'll be so happy for you when you get all back together.

Anonymous said...

Your darning egg is gorgeous! I would love to know where you bought it. I knit socks, but I have never used an egg in the knitting, only in repair. I use a three needle bind off for the toes - I would love to know how to use such a handsome accessory.

Pumpkin looks as adorable as ever on his new floor covering. He makes a lovely model/spokeskitty.

Anonymous said...

I love that egg. Maybe something as wonderful as that would make Kitchenering more fun for me...nah, I doubt it. How fun to have your home back!! I'll bet the P-man loves it.

Anonymous said...

Yay for new floors! Woot!

I definitely like your darning egg technique for grafting the toes. I like complete silence when I get to that part of working the toe, because I need to hear myself say the Kitchener Chant.

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Orlando - so close and yet so far. The egg is beautiful. Almost (and I say almost) makes me want to mend socks. I'm working on the Trekking and loving it! Will try to post pictures to the blog later on - when I'm not having so much fun!
Dorothy (Missouri Star)

Beth said...

Natural habitat! Love it. :)

Anonymous said...

ok, I do that and my stitches STILL get twisted. God, I'm such a tard.

When you gonna get one of those action shots of p on the wood floors? Ok, I admit it, I'm evil. Oh, c'mon! Some funny stuff, that!

Anonymous said...

Oh what a fabulous tutorial, thank you! Now I love that egg-I've got to find one. Where did you find him?

Sheri said...

I'm in agreement with all the other commenters. Love the egg! I just finished my first PAIR of socks, ever, and that toe doesn't look too good. The egg with the kitchener stitch just might do the trick. Time to go hunting for a darning egg!

Glad you got your new carpet. What a rough year you've had! May the hurricane forces that be steer clear of your neck of the woods this year (and mine).

Sheri in GA

chris said...

What a fantastic tip! Your darning egg is beautiful- I love the rich, deep color. And thank goodness I have an abundance of light bulbs to substitute. ;-) That's such a great tip- I will definitely give it a try the next time I Kitchener. I don't dread Kitchener, but I always worry that my stitches are uneven. Voila- perfect solution! ;-) And I'm so happy for you about your new carpet! P-Man has the cutest, most tentative expression on his face, too. Kind of like, "Are you sure, mom?" Take care, Debi! :-)

Norah said...

Pumpkin is such a cutie! What kind of cat is he?

Anonymous said...

That wood is gorgeous! I need to find an egg.

Anonymous said...

Your kitchenering is awesome! And I'm glad to see more recovery action over there. I think of you often in that respect.

Anonymous said...

I just typed "darning egg" into the search engine and came up with a site that sells them. This site sold for $13, a little high for me. But I'd be hesitant to use a light bulb because I think they're too fragile. Thank you very much for the great pictures of your stitches. -- Ellen in NY.

Angela said...

I have just become the proud owner of two darning eggs. Thanks for the demo. Can you go into a little more detail about how to use them?

THanks!

Ang

Anonymous said...

nice job! looks beautiful!But..can you elaborate on how you actually pull up the slack of the kitcher stitches once placed on the darning egg? I'm not exactly sure how you did that runningh across the stitches like that..

thanks!Pat from the Jersey Shore

Jackie said...

Thanks for the great tip again. and that eggy is cute.

Anonymous said...

Ohmygosh! I think I have a darning egg but I never knew what it was! Gotta go look in my drawer of stuff from grandma.

computer screen said...

Debi once again thanks for your great tutorials, as always a great job

Flower Shop said...

I suggest this site to my friends so it could be useful & informative for them also. Great effort.

Tina Fey said...

Very value able post, it keep me onto reading your whole story.

eve isk said...

ETA: If you'd wizardry gold like to obtain a beautiful darning egg like mine, you can get one HERE

Now Pumpkin has a secret too....he wants to show off our new CARPET!! Yes, post hurricane recovery continues here Darkfall Unholy Wars Gold at Chez FKD

moona said...

Nice post realy good post for all, that you have updated us with all of nice information that can be very useful for future.

Anonymous said...

I bought a darning egg from Phil. I own three of them. They really help me get the job done of closing the toes of my socks. Thanks for sharing the tip of using the darning egg.
A. Scooty