Sunday, September 09, 2007

I don't 'poo, do you?


Got your attention, didn't I? :)

Yes, it's true but not in the way you think...

Thanks to Wendy, via Sandy I've gone shamPOO free!!

For the last few months Wendy has mentioned going 'poo free and how nice it was making her hair...I was intrigued! You see, since my hair is just shy of waist length and I have the MOST sensitive skin on the planet the thought of adding less chemicals to the equation sounded like a good thing so I went here to check it out!

No chemicals? No unnecessary foam? Gorgeous hair? I dunno, sounded too good to be true, plus it was pretty spendy!* I didn't want yet another disappointing product gathering dust in my linen closet. What sold me? Well, if skeptical L-B can do without the 'poo, so can I! :) Plus she has longer hair like me!

It's an odd feeling, not to have a head full of foam but my hair is GORGEOUS! Smooth, no frizz (remember I live in the humidity capitol of America!) super soft and silky and SHINY! Plus it did not irritate my skin at all! (Most shampoos do!)

By popular request, ETA.....


MY HAIR!! :)

I used the Cucumber Aloe Cleansing Conditioner and used 18 pumps (I am using less each time til I find what is right for me!) The only complaint? I *hate* the smell...it smells musty and old to me, not fresh like I hoped it would. I also bought the Tea Tree and I love that smell so I plan to alternate with every washing.

I heartily recommend these products, especially if you have sensitive skin issues. I got mine here and I'm really happy I did! Thanks L-B, Wendy, Sandy and Chaz :)

** It's not spendy if it works and doesn't make my scalp bleed! Plus it's a bit cheaper on QVC than from Chaz Dean directly.

On to the knitting! After all this is FluffyKnitterDeb, not FluffyShoweringDeb! (there's your scary visual for the week, heh!)

First we have...wait for it...PINK SOCKS....

Here's the finished "Everybody into the Pool" socks...


Aren't they great? They are just so juicy! I actually took this pic in my bathroom because it was the only place I could photograph even close to the true color including inside under an Ott light and outside...it's really a deep, saturated hot pink rather than a purple. This pic isn't perfect but very close - I love 'em!

Specs:

Tausendschon Sockenwolle, colorway Schlangengift (I tried to translate this and it kept coming up as queue poison, wtf? My kind reader Batty set me straight, it means Snake Poison! How cool is that?) I really like this yarn, it's so soft and nice to knit with!

Size #0 (2.0 mm) 32" circular needle, magic loop

Just simple stockinette and a yo short row heel with the yarn doing all the talking...I love em and I'm sure my niece will too!

Next up, new socks in....wait for it.....BLUE....

I was trying to get out of my green knitting rut and now I'm firmly ensconced in a pink and blue rut :::sigh::: maybe I need some brown and yellow yarn? ( j/k!!)

Here's a new footie I started for Mom


Toe up 'Vog On socks from Knitty in Panda Cotton, colorway Blueberries and Grapes.
I LOVE this colorway, the combo of blues and purples is very striking. Panda Cotton is one of my favorite sock yarns! It's so soft and squishy (ok, and a little splitty, just pay attention!) I just love the sproing it has too!

The pattern is very cool too but I'm not gonna do the picot bind off. It's just a bit too "cutesie" for the FKMom so I'll finish with a tubular bind off.


I got a lovely present in the mail, look....

why yes, it's some new knails too. OPI brights, "Do you need Sunglasses?" :)


It's another beautiful darning egg!! My very talented wood crafter friend Phil of Custom Wood Design sent it to me, isn't it lovely?

I use my darning eggs all the time, for grafting sock toes but it's also very handy for making any knitted fabric more visible for weaving in ends. Go pay Phil a visit and get yourself something lovely too! (he has breathtaking niddy noddies, spindles, wip tools and nostipinde too!)

ETA: If you go to Phil's website, ignore the "SOLD" signs. If there is something you especially like, Phil will make it for you as long as the wood is available - just email him to discuss it.

Speaking of presents, next week is the FKD birthday once again! So what does that mean to you? Why, it's time for a groovy contest of course! Yeah, I know it's weird to give presents away on MY birthday but I march to a different drummer like that :)

So the P-Man is chillaxin' this week, see?

Don't ya just love the little crossed feet? :)


He's says to come back soon for birthday festivities! Til then he hopes you can chillax some too! Have fun!

39 comments:

Leslie said...

I just LOVE those socks! The colors are fantastic and I bet if you wear them you dance, Dance, DANCE! Whheeeee!

I took a pix of Perry with her feet crossed last week - showed how badly I needed to change the slipcover on the loveseat! But I still might post it because, you know, kitty feet are sweet.

Happy week b-4 the b-day, FKD. :)

savannahchik said...

those socks are beautiful! i love the combo of colors :)

and mom's new socks are looking pretty nice too.

Laura said...

hi,
i'm laura, "sock guru" for crystal palace yarns. would love to post your pic on our cpy sock blog and link to you.

Unknown said...

I've got to try that C.D stuff.

However, another method I use to cleanse my hair is to mix about a half-cup of apple vinegar into one gallon of hot water. Then you soak your hair in it and scrub. When you go to rinse, use cool/cold water. The vinegar strips the hair clean of dirt, oil, and hair products while the cold water causes the hair to contract slightly, giving it shine AND straightening it.

When mixing the vinegar and water, you may need to experiment. The amount of vinegar to water ratio differs depending on hair thickness, length, and strength. My hair's short, but thick and strong.

Dave said...

I love the way that sock pooled. It's funny that most North American knitters are trying very avoid to avoid the pool, while many in Europe, or at least Germany, are trying to keep it pooling. I'd love to get one that did what yours did. Well, two, actually. :-)

La Cabeza Grande said...

Zing, baby, zing! Love that hot pink snake bit sock action. And I know your mom will flip over her blue footies, too :o)

The Boyz say "Word" to the P-man.

Sheri said...

I never remember to check out the website for the wood things until you mention them on here. One of these days I'll make it before everything is marked "sold." You're good advertising!
Love both of the socks, and that P-man is one cute guy!
Sheri in GA

Angie said...

Your title to this post definitely made me look twice. :-) Very hot socks!

The P-Man's crossed feet are so cute. Well, handsome. :-)

Jes said...

Whew! You have been busy. I must say, I'm not official perked about the 'poo free. I think I'm going to have to get me some. I was thinking that tea tree sounded good. The frizz and allergy free thing got me!

Those socks are bright girl, I hope your niece likes 'em!
Early Happy Birthday wishes!

Anonymous said...

I'm intrigued by this 'poo free stuff. I may have to order some. My hair is fine, and frizzy, and nothing controls it.
Love Mom's footies!

Dorothy said...

You know, I'm not normally a big fan of pooling, but I like those socks. They're gorgeous! Sure you don't want to keep them?

Carole Knits said...

Your hair is HOW long? I want photos!! :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm with Carole -- I want a hair photo!

Ain't poo-free great?

Beth said...

Wow - I *really* love that Blueberries and Grapes color of the Panda Cotton. I see yet another yarn purchase in my future!

WandaWoman said...

You know you can't talk about how great you rhair looks without showing us a pic, you know that right? Especially this waist-long hair business. Pics, pics!

Snake poison, eh? The socks look great. I really like the Blueberries and Grape color, so pretty!

Cookie said...

A little splitty, huh? :p

Yay for long hair! I'd say I want to see, but I know how hard it is to get a photo of your own hair.

PurlingPirate said...

I've been wanting to try that hair product. Maybe I just need to cave in and try.

Love the socks!!!

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Hmmm, sounds like a cool product, but I'd be a bit nervous. I tend to be a fidgeter who runs her fingers through her hair. Combine that with ultra fine hair and you have a greasy mess by the 24 hour mark. But my scalp can be a bit fussy...

The socks are awesome! I love that colorway of Panda Cotton. I don't think I've seen that one in person yet :-)

Opal said...

Your hair looks fabulous, darling. Absolutely fabulous. ;-)

Oh those poolin' socks rock and I really love that Panda Cotton colorway.

Your knails are wild! Totally love'em.

Diane said...

Love those socks! I'm glad P-man is stocking up on some sleep before the birthday festivities begin.

La Cabeza Grande said...

Me again. Smashing hair photo! How'd you do that? Looks like a lovely, thick, 'poo free mane Miss Debi!

sulu-design said...

I do 'poo (yes, your title caught my eye), but now I'm thinking about not 'pooing after this post. Hmmm....

Suzanne said...

That is some SERIOUSLY LOVELY HAIR! We should all be cheering--we ARE fiber enthusiasts and we know hair!

And normally I do not like sock pools but THOSE are FABULOUS! but then I love pink and green as bright as possible.

WandaWoman said...

Dang, girl, that's a lot of hair. And it looks good too! Next time, we want pics of you modeling a FO. Your public demands it (haha, snicker, snicker :-))

Anonymous said...

The Pool socks are awesome. (I'm sure my eyes will be back to normal in no time! lol They are very bright!) Just wonderful.

Does anybody have comments on no shampoo and dandruff? or rather, psoriasis? Every time I read about no 'poo it gets more intriguing.

Debi said...

I can't speak re: psoriasis Gail but I have such sensitive skin that some shampoos of my past actually leave me with scab-like patches under my hair!
With the Wen products my scalp is calm and scab free!

Carol said...

Love love love the socks! What a headful of hair on you! It's gorgeous! FKS! ~snort~ that's just because I'm 12. Can it be? Another birthday already?! That was fast! Ckillaxin! Love it!

Carole Knits said...

Now that's what I call a head of hair! Gorgeous, grrlfriend!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if someone else mentioned it, but www.naturallycurly.com is hugely devoted to going 'poo free, something I started doing over 2 years ago.

It doesn't need to be expensive! Or smelly. And you don't need curly hair, either. THe main thing is to use conditioners and gels (if you need them) that don't contain silicones or any other non-water-soluble products. And you can find a list of them at Naturally Curly. There are tons of salon products that fit the bill, but so do most Suave conditioners. And you can make your own deep conditioners with olive oil, coconut oil, honey, olive oil, and so on. (Also check out Jessicurl products, no affiliation to me. Even if you're not curly, she has great no 'poo products that come with fragrance or unscented.)

Yay for no shampoo! It's harsh.

Anonymous said...

That is SOME HAIR!!!!

Anonymous said...

Lots to like in this post! Love both pair of socks and that darning egg is beautiful.

....and your hair....oh my! Very pretty. I will have to look into those shampoos, they sound interesting :-)

Nana Sadie said...

Gorgeous hair, and I love Mom's footie!
;)
A b'day? Really?
(scritches to P-Man, okay?)
(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

I think I already told you that I've been using Wen for a couple of years now. I ordered the gallon size and it lasts forever...thanks for the QVC tip though...I need to check and see if they sell the gallon size too for less.

Anonymous said...

Those socks are fabulous ! I generally like pooling. It's all part of the fun.

Your hair is gorgeous. For some reason unexpected, but gorgeous.

I can't find your address. Please can you e-mail it to me ?

:0)

Anonymous said...

Love those socks! So i'm intrigued by the conditioner, do you put it on in the shower and rinse it?

Lorette said...

Those socks are groovy, lady!
And your hair is gorgeous! I've never seen a photo of you, somehow I pictured you as a short-haired blonde. I bought the poo-less stuff too after I saw it on Wendy's blog, but haven't tried it since I didn't want to pack the stuff.

Soulknitting said...

Love the socks. And I love the NEW socks you've started.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful hair, Debi!

Marguerite said...

Everytime I wash my hair or scratch my scalp, I remember this post. So, I had to come back for the link and try some Poo-less magic.

Your hair is fantastic. I'll never think of you in the same way again after seeing that picture. From now on you'll be glamorous Debi in my mind.