Saturday, March 31, 2007

Guess who what I've been sleeping with?

Now, now, get your minds out of the gutter - I only wish I had some juicy bedmate to reveal, besides the P-Man of course, heh!

I do have something else pretty juicy to reveal tho...

Remember these?


After more than a year (a fact which totally freaks me out, btw!) I give you this.....



A finished Carnival Throw!

Isn't it pretty? I am CRAZY about it!!

Specs:

Adaptation of the Carnival Shawl from Rowan RYC Classic Holiday

Knitpicks Shine Sport in Grass, Apricot, Cream, Green Apple and Sand, approximately 6 skeins of each color - I totally LOVE this yarn! Machine washable and dry-able, very very soft and a pleasure to knit OR crochet with!!

#4, size "E" metal crochet hook

Finished measurements: 52" x 65"

Started February 2006 (!!!!)

Mods: When I began this project I had been searching for an afghan/throw pattern so I could make a cotton afghan. Being primarily Fluffy KNITTER Deb I never really considered crocheting one. Then I saw the Carnival Shawl!! I loved the swirly medallions and thought they would be perfectly adaptable to a throw. I wasn't so hot on the crochet** aspect but it's a very easy pattern and I figured it could be some mindless TV crochet and I could knock out a medallion or two each evening and still have time for knitting. Ah the best laid plans, right? I'm not really sure what caused this WIP to languish for so long except that I can unequivocally say I much prefer to knit than to crochet.

After waking up many times in the last month freezing because I had kicked off my heavier blanket during the night and saying to myself "I wish I had a lighter throw that would keep me just warm enough all night long" the D'OH! moment struck and I remembered my Carnival throw!

So I buckled down and gave her my monogamous attention until she was done! Yes, I am having serious knitting withdrawal but I think my new throw was worth it, don't you?

The pattern gave no direction as to how to connect all the medallions so I crocheted my 68 medallions together. I then put a few extra rows of single crochet around the whole throw for a more finished edge.

I am really pleased with how this foray into the "wild side" turned out and would heartily recommend this pattern for any "non-crocheting knitters" who want a bit of variety in their crafting lives!



I also promised to share a GREAT new knitting gadget I discovered....One thing that made joining 68 medallions together much less of a chore than it could have been was these:



These are Knit Klips and they are WONDERFUL! They are smooth and wont snag your knitting and make lining up pieces for joining together a BREEZE! Truly!!


Here is a pic using them for my throw:


I've also used them for sweater finishing and they ROCK!! Try em, you won't be sorry!

I know that blogging has been scarce but with Spring Fever, knitting ennui and 2 really long term projects on the needles (My Forest Path Stole and the Carnival Throw) it makes for poor knitting blog fodder. To appease you and since everyone seemed to really love the P-Man tongue action shots I offer you another....

Isn't he just so freakin' CUTE? :)

Have a wonderful weekend and I promise to be back soon with actual KNITTING content! TTFN!

**I can crochet really well and altho I think it is a wonderful craft, especially as an adjunct to knitting, I honestly do prefer to knit. You can't beat the ease of using single crochet to put in a set in sleeve, and crocheted embellishments are always pretty but my heart belongs to knitting :)

29 comments:

Carole Knits said...

The carnival throw is wonderful! I hadn't forgotten about it and I'm so glad to see it finished. I bet it will be just the thing for those cool Florida nights.

Angie said...

The carnival throw is loverly, I bet it is just the ticket for the in between weather. And another tongue pic of the P-man, I miss a cat in the house.

Crazy Knitting Fool said...

The throw is beautiful. It is almost enough to make me want to crochet - almost!

Marguerite said...

WOW. Love the colors and the pattern. Very nice.

They're P-Man's colors. You are going to share?

Anonymous said...

it is BEAUTIFUL! congrats on finishing such a big project. that's gotta feel good.

Leslie said...

Wow - that sure did turn out prettily. I have a cd called "Crochet made easy" - maybe I should look at it some time:)

Loves that p-man! And looking at your side bar I see the Ample Knitters Pansy. Gosh I miss that list...

Anonymous said...

Y'all have to understand, the words "carnival throw" have to do with beads and "Throw me sumthin', Mister!" here in Louisiana! VBG!

Yours is lovely - throw me sumthin'!

Kimberly said...

Oh I love that throw!! I've wanted to knit an afghan for the longest time. I think the only thing holding me back is how long it would take. I love those spirals and the colors are perfect. I have to admit I do know how to crochet now but much prefer knitting.

Beth said...

Oh Deb! That's almost enough to get me crocheting! Imagine how cute a smaller baby-blanket size one would be in primary colors...

Anonymous said...

What - only a year?? Some of my stuff has been marinating so much longer - its turning to algae in the frog pond.

I had forgotten about the carnival throw. It is Gorgeous. I love the colors (so springy!) and swirls and I'm wondering how you decided which order to place the colors in the throw (because if I rearrange my Leapin' Lizard squares one more time, I may hurt myself.)

Congrats on an epic project completed!

Carol said...

Gorgeous! I didn't even now you crocheted, you multi-talented woman you! It even matches the ever adorable P-Man!

Carol said...

You're right! Everything will be fine! I do have knitting after all! I can not believe it's been only two years here! Mine comes by April 23rd. I thought of the troops too when I saw that!

Norah said...

The throw is absolutely beautiful, and the P-Man is as adorable as ever! I love the colors in the throw and the way you put them together. Plus they go really well with the P-Man's colors!

Kris B said...

Your throw is very beautiful, very nice.

Pumpkinmama said...

I love it! What great work, and looks like such a fun pattern.

Jes said...

Wow! It looks really nice. You can't see the joins at all. I'm very impressed. Especially at finishing a throw of any sort. That's a lot of work!

Nice job lady =)

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

That is a fantastic throw! I love the medallions and the colors are spectacular!

Nicole said...

I'm with you on the "I crochet but I prefer to knit" feeling. That's me too. I used to like to crochet better, actually, because I had a tendency to drop stitches while knitting. But once I got some better, less cheap - er, less slick - needles, I don't have that problem anymore.

Love the P-man shot!

~Nicole

Denise/CT said...

Yep, freaking cute he is! Love the throw. Such a multi talented gal you are.
Nice to read the feed back on the yarn. I'm always interested what a knitter thinks of the yarn after a long knit project and cleaning of the item.

Knittinreed said...

Great throw! I love the pattern(s) of each section. Beautiful job.

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful! Good on you for persevering - the result was more than worth it!

Monika said...

Oh, my! How I do LOVE LOVE LOVE this blanket! It's gorgeous! It's wonderful and it was made with my beloved colors orange and green. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

How pretty! Definitely worth the time and perserverance if you ask me!

Rebecca said...

What a fun throw! Swirly-whirly carnival throw. I've been wanting to try those Knit Clips so I'm glad to see they come highly recommended.

Anonymous said...

Wow, so beautiful! I am soooo impressed! I can crochet, and have done one-offs like that (doilies), but all together, with colors scattered about -- simply gorgeous! Wow, wow, wow!

Anonymous said...

Am I on drugs, or did that blanket start out crocheted?

Whichever, it's beautiful! Just wish there wasn't so much seaming involved. Something like that would make a nice lap throw for my uncle who's recovering from a stroke

Anonymous said...

Dang bloglines! I just saw this and I am amazed! That may be the nicest crochet blanket I've seen.

Trish said...

How exciting! I started reading your blog when you first posted about the Carnival throw. It looks great - makes me want to finally learn how to crochet. :)

Opal said...

Gorgeous throw! So much so that it's tempting me away from the ripples.. hrm.