Friday, November 03, 2006

A little rant and a lotta knit

/begin rant.....Altho I blog for myself, as a record for my knitting, I am blessed to have readers who enjoy my musings as well. I'm thrilled that I'm part of a community of like minded friends who come here to visit and share this little piece of my world and I love having y'all here.

Now I'm amenable to sharing any tips or knowledge I have because that's one of the best things about this community as I see it, a shared online resource. However, if you, my dear reader, comment anonymously, I cannot respond! I don't want to turn off anonymous commenting but some of the "questions" are not really applicable to a post. For example: "where do I find your tutorials?" Um well, if you're seeing my blog (the actual blog, not thru Bloglines or Newsgator, ect.), look over on my side bar and you'll find them, I promise :) Another frequent "comment"...."how do I find your patterns?" Um, same place...sidebar, click on links, go to free file hosting site, look around, brave the pop-ups (it is FREE after all!) find the file! Easy Peasy!

I have my email posted over there on the side bar too....if you ever have a problem or question, dear reader, just email me and I'll do my best to help, but please comment with a contact so I can help/answer or email me, mmmmkay? /end rant

On to the knitting!

Finally after much ado I bring you the Lotus Blossom Thistle Flower Tank!

First a close up to show off the pretty colors


Thistle flowers, right?

A peek at the back and the pretty striping in outdoor light


The view from the front*


The glamour shot


Specs:

Pattern: Lotus Blossom Tank, Interweave Knits Summer 2006

#6 (4 mm) and #5 (3.75 mm) addi turbos

12 skeins of Kelly yarn, a cotton/microfiber blend, color #100

Mods: I knit the large size to achieve a 48" finished measurement with my gauge. I knit six pattern repeats rather than the five suggested by the pattern. I also added 3 inches of stockinette to the bodice before the armhole shaping.

I added an eyelet row under the bodice with a threaded twisted cord (to make sure the "girls" stay where they belong!) I chose not to add short row shaping for the bust because I felt it wasn't needed with the length I added to the bodice and I felt the short rows at the bustline would be too conspicuous because of the stripes.

One very cool thing is that the pattern is written with short row shaping for the shoulders/ back neck using Japanese short rows! This was my first experience with the Japanese short rows and I'm now a total convert! I think they look much smoother than wrapped short rows and they are much easier to do! No digging around to find the wrap! There are some good tutorials on the net and if you've never tried Japanese short rows, you should! I can't wait to try them on a sock heel myself!

I really love how this tank turned out! The patten is well written and a pretty easy lace so it would make a good first lace garment. The fit is great, the sweetheart neckline very flattering. The yarn is very soft and drapey but light as a feather and the color is subtle but lovely! I see this getting lots of wear for years to come - wearing it makes me feel all girly :)

*you might notice the long "ends" not woven in on the tank. With cottons, I leave long tails on the private side and I find they never poke thru to the front like they can do when they are shorter!

And now knitting present and future....I started the ubiquitous pair of socks.....


I'm revisiting my favorite socks, gotta love that entrelac! This is Lorna's Laces shepherd sock in the Seaside colorway. I love the unique way this is striping!

I also started a gorgeous new sweater but I'll save that for next week.

I leave you with the P-Man and more backscratcher fun.....

An action shot - don't you love the tongue of concentration?

Ah ha, evil backscratcher, you're mine now!!


Enjoy your weekend!


37 comments:

Anonymous said...

thistle looks great! that varigated yarn worked up so nicely in the pattern.

i've loved that pattern too from the moment i got that issue of IK and i was worried about the neckline being wonky. i'm glad to hear you really like it. i may have to reconsider it in the spring (since it's a solid 45 degrees here this morning!)

ps - as always, can't resist the p-man. thanks for giving me my weekly dose ;)

Monika said...

The Lotus Blossom Tank looks wonderful! I'm knitting the same socks right now, it's the first time for me. I'm going to knit them no matter who they are going to fit, just to get a feel of how it's done. Love your colorway! ;o)

Sheri said...

I love your sweater! I must go look up that issue to see if it'll work for me, it's beautiful and the yarn is perfect! Hi to the P-man, whose adorable little face I missed seeing while your computer had the flu! :o)
Sheri in GA

Carole Knits said...

The new tank top is wonderful. I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying wearing it!

Suzanne said...

The tongue of concentration! I love it! You know, my kids do it too, when they are really thinking hard--

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I've been eyeing that pattern since it came out; seeing yours has made my decision easier. I'm making it! What lovely yarn you chose for it.

Love the cat tongue :)

Anonymous said...

Love Thistle Blossom! And that sock is killah!!!

Pumpkinmama said...

Gorgeous colors in that top! So pretty.

Beth said...

That turned out beautifully! And you're right - definitely thistle flowers, not a lotus to be seen.

Have a great weekend!

Stacey said...

Ummm... where can I find your tutorials?

DAMN! I'm logged in and can't post anonymously. ;)

Entralac socks? WOW! You either have the patience of a Buddist monk or you've been sniffing p-man's cat nip! Beautiful!

La Cabeza Grande said...

Wowsa, Miss Debi! Those entrelac socks are fantanstic. So is the action shot of the bunny-kickin' backscratcher nabbing P-Man!

Enjoy your weekend as well.

WandaWoman said...

Lovely, lovely tank. I like that pattern, but the lotus blossoms look like alien's heads to me and for some reason I can't get over that to make that tank. It's a very pretty color too. Entrelac socks, egads, woman! It looks great.

Dorothy said...

The tank is lovely! I have that magazine sitting on my end table right now and I have to say that yours is way prettier than the one on the cover. Thanks for the clue about the Japanese short rows - I'll check it out. I hate wraps! Have you seen Eunny's entrelac socks (www.eunnyjang.com)? You guys are both incredible.
dswaite@mac.com

Cathy said...

The tank is Gorgeous Debi! Entrelac socks huh? What a great idea - I like the colors and the way they are working up. Have a wonderful weekend and give PMan a scratch from us :)

Anonymous said...

The tank is beautiful!!! It looks girly yet comfy, a hard combo to acheive. I love the entralac sock as well. I haven't ventured into entrelac land yet. Gotta consider giving it a try.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I love me them socks! What pattern are you using??

Alison said...

What a beautiful tank!! Love the colorway.

And those socks - is that the entrelac pattern from Knitter's Summer 2004 by chance? I just started a pair from that very pattern and are striping up very similarly. Mine are pink/purple, but it goes to show that great minds think alike:)

Carol said...

Just beautiful Debi! Those socks are striping in a really unique and cool way. Are those for you?
Have a great weekend and back scratchy best to the P-Man!

Anonymous said...

Heh, I'm guilty of asking stupid questions, but I at least leave my email address so someone can tell me just how big an idiot I am!

That tank is adorable. Great work with the mods for you, it is really cute.

Anonymous said...

The tank is lovely! Beautiful colour, and the P man looks dapper as always :-)

Terri said...

That thistle tank is gorgeous! It almost makes me want to do lacy work. I have seen your fingers in several posts, but never with polish. That color goes nicely with the new tank top. Good luck with the evil stick Pumpkin.

Nana Sadie said...

Rant away, Debi! It makes me a little more than crazy when folks ask a question and I have no way to get back to them!
LOVELY top...you did a wonderful job, and I think those socks are so cool...
P-Man won, paws down!
(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

As far as rants go you're just a softy! It's obvious that you're a very patient, kind-hearted soul. You're very generous in posting your free patterns. Thank you. Thanks, also, for the little tips like leaving the cotton ends longer. That makes so much sense yet I had never thought of it!

Marguerite said...

The tank is gorgeous.

Thanks for all the great tips like not cutting the cotton ends and Japanese shortrows. Gotta check that one out for sure.

Is your computer behaving now? Do you hold your breath every time you turn it on?

Anonymous said...

I love how that tank turned out for you. I'm going to have to back order the mag.

I've been knitting for over thirty years and have yet to do short rows of any kind, or try entralac for that matter. Always something new to learn.

AmyP said...

The Thistle tank came out great - I hope you have fun wearing it!

gray la gran said...

the tank is beautiful, and a success with modifications, but ... i'd really like to see it modeled :)
please!

alltangledup said...

I find when I leave long ends they always tend to tickle me.

The tank is really pretty and now one of these days I must try japanese short rows....

love the socks too. The yarn works well in entrelac

Theresa said...

Love that entrelac - what a great twist on the Lorna's Laces!

Anonymous said...

Your top turned out so pretty Debi! And that sock is going to be neato.

Jes said...

The tank is stunning! It looks really great in that yarn. Nice pairing =)
I really love the eyelet row. It's such a useful, early touch ;)

I love the toungue of concentration. That's awesome!

Anonymous said...

The Thistle Tank is gorgeous! I love the way it stripes!

Agnes said...

Lovely! The subtle stripes of the yarn give the tank more interest. And I absolutely agree with making it longer before the armhole ... yours must be much more comfortable to wear than the one from the original pattern.

Anonymous said...

Oh I love that tank, very cute. And those socks are terrific as well.

I also completely understand your rant. Sometimes it's annoying administrating a blog, I hope you find a solution to your issue.

Anonymous said...

Your Thistle/Lotus turned our beautiful!

I see P-man's still playing with his wood.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful projects! Really beautiful.

Love the "tongue of concentration." Love the P-man. He's adorable.

Anonymous said...

Your tank is gorgeous. I knit it too and love it. I really like the eyelet row addition. Oh that is soo cool with the entrelac socks. Gotta try that.