Thursday, October 13, 2005

I've got a new toy and I return for more punishment

I always wanted one of these and now I finally have one! Any guesses what it is?

It's a bloodwood LUCET


What's a lucet you query? Here's the definition from Wickipedia:

Lucet is a method of cordmaking or braiding which is believed to date back to the Viking era. Lucet cord is square, strong, and slightly springy. It closely resembles knitted I-cord or the cord produced on a knitting spool. Lucet cord is formed by a series of loops, and will therefore unravel if cut.
The only tools necessary to lucet are a length of
yarn
and a lucet, also called a lucet fork. The lucet fork is normally made of wood, with two prongs at one end and a handle on the other. It may also have a hole through which the cord can be pulled. The yarn is wound around the fork, forming loops, which are then lifted with the fingers over the working yarn and tightened to form the cord. The cord is wrapped around the lucet handle as it grows.
Lucet cord can be used for decorative edging, draw-strings, lacing, and any other use where a strong cord is needed.


I love exotic wood and this bloodwood lucet matches another of my special knitting accoutrements, my bloodwood darning egg, right Margene?

I have a design rolling around in my head that calls for a drawstring so rather than knitting miles of I-cord I thought a lucet would be much more fun! I practiced with the little cord in the pic and it is FUN!! It seems to be much sturdier than knitted I-cord and a bit faster so all in all, I'm really enjoying this new toy! I got mine
here if you want one too.

And the gifts keep on coming.....
I got some $$ for my birthday with the express instruction to "buy myself some yarn with it" so I did :)

I know I must be a glutton for punishment but I went back for more Euroflax laceweight LINEN (eek!)
This time I picked some in the color Sage. The color in the pic is pretty true, it's a dark Sage cause it's much darker than the [Martha Stewart for K-Mart] Sage blanket it's resting on! All kidding aside, it's a really lovely color and it will make another beautiful, drapey, lightweight shawl someday soon (I'm addicted too,
Catherine!) I also bought the lovely Cherry Red Louet Gems Opal yarn for some juicy red socks for ME! See, I finally knit myself some socks and now I'm unstoppable, muahahahahaha.....


I also wanted to share my dealer source for Euroflax Linen. It's Nancy at Handknitting.com Nancy is very helpful with great customer service, excellent prices (and frequent sales too!) and the yarn comes coned directly from Louet so you get the best right from the source! She also has lots of nice sock yarn and other interesting wares....go pay her a visit and try a little linen, you know you wanna.....

As far as knitting here at FKD, I've knit maybe another inch on the Ocean Lace Stole so no pics there but I did finish both fronts of the Manly Ribby Cardi and I've now cruised over to Sleeve Island!


I'd like to finish quickly so I can order the zipper and get this project done but I'm sure with the assistance of my lil helper, I'll be rescued from Sleeve Island real soon! See.......


Such a helpful lil guy, my P-Man is :)

All those fiber lovers lucky enough to be off to Rhinebeck this weekend bite me have a wonderful time!!! And to those of us left behind, remember misery loves company :) Have a great weekend no matter where you are!!

Next week as promised, a pictorial on the GREAT Turkish Cast-On so see you then!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great picture of pumpkin. He looks quite comfy!

Alison said...

Love the sage color. I'll get around to trying linen sooner or later. Pumpkin is very cute. I grew up with cats, love them, allergic to them, can't have them. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

One of the ladies at our knit group was showing us her lucet and the cord she had made - pretty cool! I'm anxious to see your results. I may just have to spring for one too. Can you vary the thickness? Dorothy (Missouri Star)

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a reader from Brazil and love your tips.

About the lucet, here we do the same cord with... our fingers! You can see how here:
http://feitoamao.typepad.com/montricot/2004/08/cordo.html
(Or translated to english here:
http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=navclient-menuext&hl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Ffeitoamao%2Etypepad%2Ecom%2Fmontricot%2F2004%2F08%2Fcordo%2Ehtml)

Agnes said...

I love the warm colour of bloodwood! Show us the cord made from the lucet if you can ... does it look the same as a knitted i-cord? The red sock yarns look sooo yummy!

Anonymous said...

Sooo pretty. Lucet's are fun and the cord is quickly made.

Lorette said...

OOooh, I want a lucet, too! And I love handknitting.com. Nancy is indeed very helpful.

Anonymous said...

The Lucet, the yarns, all very cool.
I'm not going to Rhinebeck either, and probably never will. It's sad.

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Don't cross out the "bite me" - it's the perfect sentiment. Obviously, I won't be going either. :(

Christine said...

You are tooo funny. You know if there is something you absolutely have to have, maybe we can work out a deal ;) I'll be there on Saturday!

Ada said...

The Lucet looks beautiful, thanks for sharing the story of what it's used for. I've never heard of it here. I can't wait to see what you are going to knit with the sage linen. LOVEE pumpkin!!

Anonymous said...

What a pretty lucet. A Roman reenactor friend of mine first introduced me to lucets last July. I had been trolling different events for one ever since. I collect gadgets as well as yarn, needles, books, patterns, blogs and buttons.

Gosh, it's going to be difficult to resist the catnappage when I'm there in Nov, if P is even HALF as cute as he is in his pictures.

Catherine said...

Oh, the tragedy of Linen Addiction! I'm already planning my next project, I think it will be the pullover I linked to a week or two ago. I've always wanted a lucet!