Monday, October 31, 2005

Hurricane Wilma Week 2 or BITE ME REALLY HARD, JEB!!!!

First off, Pumpkin and I want to thank everyone for the support. Every single comment means more than I can hope to convey because it helps me feel connected in this surreal tableau that continues into yet another week...

We are still without power here at the hovel I now call home Casa de FKD. I have a rudimentary door out front that doesn't lock and the back glass door maintains it's precarious perch unchanged. Water is dwindling and food is getting pretty scarce, last's night's meal was some defrosted pasta sauce, hold the pasta :) -- ya gotta have a sense of humor, right? My carpets have all been ripped out because the mildew was running rampant on my saturated floors. Power may not be restored until NOVEMBER 22!!! And because my life isn't interesting enough, I now have a wicked cold that I'm convinced is bird flu with the luck I've been having!

Here's the latest FEMA fubar...I registered for assistance on Oct. 27. At that time I was told that the agent would attempt to contact me but if he couldn't he would "just show up". I called back today to make sure my claim was in the system and verified with the FEMA phone person that the agent did NOT need to contact me directly for an inspection to be made because I still have no phone service and no where to charge my cell (but for the kindness of a neighbor with a generator but I hate to impose!) and this time I was told "oh no, the agent will attempt to contact you three times and if he can't reach you, WE CLOSE THE CASE!! Fucking GENIUS!! And just how is he supposed to do that when I HAVE NO POWER?? Sheesh!!

I have a few minutes computer time now and again thanks to said kind and generator endowed neighbor so I'll say hi when I can.

I finished the Hurricane Socks, now I'm on Wlma's Week 2 Socks.

Pumpkin's hanging in there, still really jumpy and nervous but still a handsome devil and keeping his Mom's spirits up!

And asshat Jeb?....I HAD provisions for three days....YOU DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THREE WEEKS!!!!!!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I pray your electricity is restored soon, much sooner than the 22nd. I'm worried about you, hoped things were improving quicker than what they are. I know you can't leave without being able to fully secure your condo but if the door gets fixed (enough so you can lock it), you two are welcome to crash here for a bit.

Jessica said...

What a nightmare. Hang in there. After you recover from Avian flu it's bound to get better. :)

Sharlene said...

Oh Deb, I'm so sorry. Its unimaginable to me that their *system* is so %(&$ed up that they can't figure out they might not be able to contact people who don't have phone or electric service. Amazing. Who's the brilliant person who thought of that? That is something I have never seen reported on national news, and I think it needs to be. Fricking brilliant. Not.

Anonymous said...

Oh what a mess! Here's hoping things look up quickly. Don't tell my dogs I said this, but give Pumpkin a scritch (does one scritch cats without getting scratched back?) for me.

Anonymous said...

Airborne is on it's way in Wednesday's mail. Please let me know if you need anything short of a .45 and some bullets (I detect it's time to trim [hog] the shrub)

Kisses for you and love for P-P-P-man

Anonymous said...

Sharlene asked who was the brilliant person who thought up FEMA's really efficient procedure - my guess is Brownie. Ugh.

I know Cincinnati has sent trucks and crews down to help work on the power lines. I hope other communities are doing the same and it won't take as long as they're saying!

Anonymous said...

22 November! That's ridiculous!
Hang on in there, I wish I could do more than just send good wishes but there isn't much else I can do from the other side of the atlantic :-)

Suzanne said...

Oh Deb,I am so sorry. With Isobel we were outta power for about 10 days and it made me CRAZY. That is AWFUL that you are already into the second week.....I still love my gorgeous beaded socks. We have our needles crossed for you!

Pumpkinmama said...

Oh man - how f-ing ridiculous. Our govt. is totally screwed up. Please let all of us in the internets know if we can help. On a lighter note, I'm thinking how cool it is to have a hobby like knitting that you can partake in sans modern conveniences. Just think of the size of the sock drawer you'll need when this is over. Best wishes, and do let us know if we can help.

Holly said...

Thinking of you and sending you my warmest wishes. Please let me know if there is anything tangible that I, or anyone else can do to help. Are you getting mail (USPS)? I could send you snacks and nyquil. :-)

...e... said...

Ack, I just saw this!!! you don't know me, but others do around here. I'm in tampa, do you need anything? do you need to come to tampa? email me if so! Please!! elithea@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Oh my, words cannot express my sorrow for you and Pumpkin. I hope assistance comes before long.

Jes said...

You poor thing!!! I can't believe it's going to take them so long to get you power. I hope they're wrong and it comes back sooner! I also hope that FEMA gets it's head outta' you know where and realizes that no power likely means no phone and no cell too. duh!
I hope everything gets real better real quick. Keep us posted.

Laura said...

I've been thinking about you Deb. So sorry to hear that you are still without power. I was going to say without modern conveniences, but it sounds like you are without even medieval conveniences! :(

Take care and let me know if there is anything you need that I can help with from Cleveland, OH!

Leslie said...

Sending you lots of good wishes - if there's anything I can send you (snacks, cat food, sock yarn, batteries, etc) please email me at lsharr@gmail.com. I'll do what I can. My orange girl, Perry the BiPolar, sends her kind regards to the P-man.

Hugs

Anonymous said...

I've been wondering. I'm amazed that you're in such a bad situation. If it's possible please take people up on their offers of help. The kindness of strangers and all that.
Knit on.
All the best. x

Anonymous said...

Wow. Never underestimate the sheer stupidity of government bureaucracy.

I've not been reading for a few weeks, I'm so sorry to hear of the chaos that Wilma has wrought. I hope things shape up soon!