Friday, November 30, 2007

It's the Eighth Wonder of the Modern World...


Ok it's not the eighth wonder it's just one of the world's prettiest socks! Just look....

It's the Caramel Apple Twisted Flower Socks!

A closer look


Which side do you think is more photogenic? :)


One last peek...

Now this, my friends, is a serious pair of socks!!


Specs:

Pattern: Twisted Flower Socks by the amazing Cookie A

Size: M

Magic loop, US #1.5 (2.5 mm) 32" addi turbo

Dream in Color Smooshy, Chinatown Apple colorway

Mods: NOT A SINGLE ONE!!!

Cookie A is a designing goddess so why mess with perfection altho I confess I tried to! (apparently I am genetically unable to knit a pattern unaltered)

The pattern calls for a US #1.5 for the medium size but it "seemed" a bit too big because of the stretchiness of the lace (we'll just ignore how much cables, even tiny ones, pull in the fabric for now...) So I went down to a US#1 and ended up with a too small sock! Of course I didn't listen to that nag inside my head until I was past the gusset on sock #1...D'OH!! So I am once again back to the school of WWCAD - what would Cookie A do! hehe!

The pattern is immaculate and easy to follow altho the teenie cables really slow down the knitting flow even when cabling without a cable needle. These are definitely not mindless TV time socks. I moaned about the fussy cables while I was knitting the sock but truth be told now that I'm finished, I really miss them!

I think the yarn I chose is perfect and I'm so completely happy that I broke out of my color rut and got acquainted with brown!! The color is so rich and full of depth yet it enhances the texture rather than detracts from it.

These will be leaving Casa de Fluffy soon as they are a holiday gift. I hope the new owner loves them as much as I do and to ease my pain, I KNOW I'll be knitting these again!

I think Pumpkin looks like he'll miss them too, doesn't he?


Actually I think he looks like he just got caught with his paw in the wild salmon jar, doesn't he?

Have a great weekend!!

39 comments:

Wendee said...

You are the MOST generous knitter around! (I thought that after seeing the tank you knitted for your pal.) Wow - these are amazing! I would love to do this pattern however, knowing me this would sit on the needles forever as all that fancy cable work is a labor of love for sure! BRAVO!

Agnes said...

The colourway is just gorgeous!
Yeah ... I thought P-Man looks guilty of something here ... LOL! Did he come clean to you? ;)

WandaWoman said...

Those are just spectacular! When are you sending them my way? Do you need my address? ;-) The recipient of this gift will truly be amazed and bowled over at your generosity.

Anonymous said...

Those socks are amazing! I would most definitely appreciate receiving a gift like that, and I hope the intended recipient is just as appreciative!

Anonymous said...

oh those are gorgeous! Did you need my mailing address for them? heheheh

Opal said...

Those socks are so beautiful! I don't think I would be able to part with them. I'm positive that the recipient will be awed and touched by such a lovely gift.

La Cabeza Grande said...

Good golly, those are some beautiful Apples you've got! With all the work put into them, I can see how you'll miss the socks when they're gone.

WWCAD?! You crack me up, doll! And Pumpkin seems to be saying, "Salmon? What salmon? I see nothing!"

Monika said...

Wow - those socks are gorgeous! They are really a very special gift. Wonderful!

Carole Knits said...

Those socks are a work of art! You and Cookie made a fabulous combination.

Suna Kendall said...

I just made a hat (Shedir) with a similar pattern of twisting cables. I do hope the recipient appreciated all the twisting--you're right, even without a needle, it's a lot of work! That IS a lovely pattern, though.

Anonymous said...

OMG - loving the socks! The yarn you chose really does seem to show the pattern off well. Lucky recipient!
http://dyedinthewool.wordpress.com

alt.ayu said...

wow!!!! the socks are really beautiful! Great job!

And i love p-man's expression hehehe

becky c. said...

Gorgeous!! I am coveting over here.

Anonymous said...

Those are fantastic. Totally beautiful.

P-Man looks like he's been "busted". Wouldn't ya love to know what he was thinking right then?

Norma said...

THOSE are so stunning, and that colorway!!! Like caramels are dripping from my lips!!! Love.Them. XOXO

Dorothy said...

Man, you've got some pretty lucky friends! I think those are just about the prettiest socks I've seen in a long time. I've got the pattern, but seeing as how I've had to rip the gussets on my current pair of plain stockinette socks three times so far, I think my brain is too fried to attempt them at this time!

Marguerite said...

So pretty!

Great pairing of yarn and pattern, and that was your doing, not Cookies.

Jes said...

Absolutely gorgeous! You're a braver woman that I ;)

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Oh pretty, pretty, pretty. I wouldn't be able to give those away. You are far more generous than I am.

Cookie said...

Fabulous socks! Well done, you!

Mary said...

They are really beautiful socks! They look so intricate.

Nana Sadie said...

Yup, that's a "guilty kitty" look! No question..
GORGEOUS socks! OMG.
(((hugs)))

Madge said...

Wow. Just. Wow. Incredible socks. Beautiful job, Debi.

And yes, Pumpkin looks all oops! she caught me.

Happy weekend!

Dave said...

You're giving these beauties away??!?? Wow, someone is very lucky. That colour is amazingly rich and warm, and a perfect match to the pattern -- well done!

Beadknitter said...

Beautiful socks! Can I be your friend? ;-)

Teresa C said...

They are perfect! Dontcha just love Cookie A. socks?

And what the heck? The blogger commenting thing has changed and I had to get a google/blogger id. It is always something. :)

Knittinreed said...

Magnificent socks!!! And Pumpkin has so much personality...

Pat said...

Don't know if I could pass these along to someone else - you are a more generous knitter than I...BEAUTIFUL socks!!

Cheryl said...

They're gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness those are gorgeous - all the attention to detail and little tiny twisted stitches in that pattern make my head spin! You are one talented lady to be able to knit those things! =)

Batty said...

The socks are just beautiful. It's such a lovely colorway, and the stitch definition is dreamy.

Pumpkin does look slightly guilty. I wonder what it is you don't know yet but will find out someday...

Anonymous said...

Immaculate work, as always. I signed up, just to tell you! :)

Beth said...

Those are beautiful Debi! I can sure see how they'd take lots of concentration. The effort was completely worth it. :)

Anonymous said...

How can you give those gorgeous socks away?! You must really love whoever they are going to.

CraftyGryphon said...

Wow, those are lovely - and intricate! Love the colorway!

Alison said...

Beautiful socks!

I think I've altered every sock pattern in some way I've ever done since the first pair. Usually I just take stitch patterns and paste them onto my own basic sock pattern.

Anonymous said...

Deb- As usual, your socks turned out beautifully. I'm glad to have a such a talented knitter and wonderful person in my life! Hope to speak to you soon...

Love you much!
~Grasshoppa

Jessica said...

They came out great!

Lorette said...

Wow, is all I have to say. Those are gorgeous!