Friday, November 09, 2007

Busy, busy, busy!!


Why is it, despite planning and executing holiday knitting year round, I always feel sorta *crunched* this time of year?

The good news is I've been a busy knitter and that puts me in the homestretch for meeting holiday knitting goals!

I don't mean to imply that I don't love holiday knitting, I do!! And my recipients love my handknits just as enthusiastically which thrills me to no end! There is nothing better than seeing someone truly happy to receive a handknit and love it so much that they put it on immediately and wear it with a huge smile on their face!

I do however confess I have weeded out the less than enthusiastic from my list, I wouldn't want you to think it's all knitting Utopia here at blog de fluffy :)

I have so much to show you so I'll jump right in!

Here's a pair of Kureyon Wristers I whipped up...


I'm not the biggest Kureyon fan cause despite it's glorious color I find it horribly scratchy and I hate pulling extraneous crap out of my yarn! But I had this pretty colorway in my stash and I wanted some really warm wristers - and believe me, Kureyon knit at 7 sts/inch makes for a dense, toasty wrister!

Specs:

Exactly one skein of Kureyon, colorway #150

My own pattern

Magic loop, US#4 (3.5mm)

I literally used every inch of the skein for these. Once knit I washed them in baby shampoo and then while still wet massaged some Redken "Soft" hair conditioner into them and rinsed very well. Now they are super soft and super cuddly!

Next up, I give you La Dolce Vita!

Here she is lying down after a bath...


(The color is kinda off here, it's not quite so orange)

And the money shot...



This color is spot on on my monitor - it's a vibrant, sunny coral

Specs:

La Dolce Vita Tank by Dipsy Doodle

9 skeins Knitpicks Shine Worsted in Coral

US# 3 (3.25mm) Addi Lace needle

I totally LOVE how this tank came out!! I think it is truly lovely!

It's an original design by Angela of Dipsy Doodle and as soon as I saw it I knew it would be perfect for the person I plan to give it to. The pattern is not for the feint of heart tho!

Altho the lace isn't really difficult, there is no guidance for maintaining the decreases in pattern so a knitter has to "knit on her feet" - not at all mindless but not terribly difficult if you pay attention.

Mods: I felt the armscythe as written was too deep and the V-Neck, too shallow, so I redesigned both to suit my needs. I added an extra inch to the body length. I did short row shoulders and used a 3 needle bind off for the shoulder seams. The pattern calls for a crochet edging to the neck and armscythe but I wanted a more finished look so after sewing the tank together I picked up stitches around the neck and arms and did 3 row garter stitch neck and arm bands to match the garter ridges in the pattern.

All in all, I'm very pleased with this top and despite all the mods I think it's a wonderful design (thanks Angela!) and will probably knit it again, albeit not too soon!

Wait, there's even more - I told you I was busy, busy, busy! I'm still working on my Caramel Apple Twisted Flower socks but since that was my only WIP, I cast on for a new pair of socks - check off another holiday gift, woot!

Here's my Marigold Sock...


I'm using Opal Petticoat #1290 which I think is *perfect* for this pattern! Isn't it pretty?

I'm loving this pattern cause it's really cute yet super easy! It's become my "mindless" sock when I need a respite from teenie cables and because it's such an easy pattern it's infinitely more portable than the Caramel Apples! BTW, this would be a GREAT pattern for those toe-up sock virgins out there - if you're looking for the perfect pattern to get your feet wet with, imo, this is the one! I subbed the Turkish Cast-on (of course!) for the short row toe as written so that makes it even easier.

Whew, that was a busy post! I leave you with this cute pic of the P-man...I love it because it appears as if you are looking directly into his eyes, especially if you click to embiggen...


You're getting sleepy...you're being hypnotized...send organic wild salmon treats...hehehe...

Have a great weekend/week and don't stress about holiday knitting too much - it's still early :)

29 comments:

Unknown said...

La Dolce Vita is beautiful! And it's good to learn that Noro softens up after a bath - I've always avoided it for the texture issue, too.

I'm in the midst of holiday knitting extravaganza, too, but I'm suffering from knitting ADD and keep going back and forth between about 4 projects. If I managed to get one finished before the holidays it'll be a Christmas miracle! :)

QueenMeadow said...

That tank is beautiful! I love the coral color.

And the socks, something about them speaks to me, maybe the fun colors?

Dave said...

The wristers look wonderful. Good thing the Kureyon softens up, because the colours are so nice ... and fun to knit. :-) And speaking of colours, I love the coral in that sweater!

Anonymous said...

BEautiful! You have been busy, busy, busy! And that tank is gorgeous. Love the marigold socks - I have them on today - wonderful pattern, fun and very pretty. You have some lucky giftee's!

Agnes said...

I just love that Opal Petticoat ... so cute! You've been a good girl ... knitting holiday gifts! I am not doing any this year! :D

Anonymous said...

The tank is amazing! Truly amazing. I'd give that pattern a try but my lace skills are not "mature enough" to simultaneously wing it with the decreases.

You did a fabulous job. And you're right.... you have been busy.

Nana Sadie said...

La Dolce Vita! OMG. GORGEOUS!!! The color, the pattern...you did a marvelous job!
(the socks and wristlets are adorable, too)
And you know my heart belongs to P-Man!
(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

What a great tank! Love your color choice.

I've never knit with Kuryeon. I might, though, now that I know it softens up.

Barbara-Kay said...

Congratulations on knitting well done!

Love to the P-Man. Just look at his sweet tail curving around the back of the chair seat!

Suzanne said...

Those marigold socks are rocking my world--much better in the sock than in the ball. Gorgeous!

Carole Knits said...

Your knits are beautiful. I don't do holiday knitting so I don't get that stress. I've never tried toe up socks because I'm happy with the way I do them but I am kind of curious about the whole process. Maybe I'll give this pattern a shot at some point - you haven't steered me wrong yet!

Anonymous said...

You've been a busy knitter for sure. I love the marigold socks and you are right ... perfect color for that delicate pattern.
I might just have to give that one a try for my first toe-ups.

Norma said...

WOW! Another gorgeous tank from The Fluffy One!!! Not only do I love the design, but the color is one of my absolute favorites.

Kureyon softens (enough) with hair conditioner, eh? Good tip!

Monika said...

You really are a busy knitter! I love all your FO's. I like Noro Kureyon, as long as I don't have to wear it directly to the skin, but for mittens it's perfect! The La Dolce Vita looks wonderful! The socks too, so girly! ;o) He, why did I just buy salmon treats? ;o)

La Cabeza Grande said...

La Dolce Vita is simply divine! Your pattern mods really kick it up a notch, too.

By the way, I've been told by my feline masters that any wild salmon purchased will stay right here, thank you very much!

Anonymous said...

Great job on the lace tank. It sounds like your modifications were spot on. And what is knitting for if not to tink-er! (geddit? Tink. Knit backwards? I'm sorry, it's been a long year!)

Madge said...

You've been so busy making such beautiful things! Wow. La Dolce Vita is gorgeous, and the wristers and Marigolds cute. That Opal Petticoat sure is cheerful.

Congrats for having your holiday knitting well in hand. Hope this means you'll be able to kick back with Mr. P once the holidays arrive.

Carol said...

Gorgeous knits at chez FKD! I have a caption for the P-Man pic (because I'm 12)
P-Man sez...Be sure to start your holiday knitting now. Send treats, thankyouverymuch.

Opal said...

That tank is just gorgeous! I love the color. I take it it's a gift? You definitely need to make one for yourself.

I love the wristers. Noro's colors are just so gorgeous, but I do agree with you on how scratchy Kureyon is. Good idea on using conditioner.

Lovely sock! That really is a perfect marriage of yarn and pattern.

WandaWoman said...

Debi,
That tank is absolutely beautiful. I love the design and the color, great job. I love the colors of Kureyon too, but find the yarn to be very scratchy, but don't mind picking out the vm. It's just really "rustic", yeah, that's it.

Like how those Marigold socks are turning out.

Anonymous said...

Deb,
I wanna be you when I grow up...your knitting is gorgeous! Great job on the tank and the socks are so cute!

pamela wynne said...

ohh, La Dolce Vita is beautiful! I love the drape of that lace. Perfect.

Thanks so much for the kind words -- I'm flattered that you're using my sock pattern! & I'm just loving all the variegated and stripey Marigolds I've seen.

Leslie said...

Those Marigold socks made me smile - and at 0600 hours that's an accomplishment :) I know - I should have smiled at the tank but I was too busy bringing my lower jaw to my upper. Yep, my mouth just fell right open seeing that gorgeous lace in a glorious color. And the mods you did on the fly? WOWZER! You are one heck of a knitter, oh fluffy one.

scritches to the Pman although no organic salmon for him - Perry P gave a big HUFF to that idea!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful mitt - I love the way the color changes match up on the hand and thumbs!

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

What fantastic gift knitting!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful knits!

Jessica said...

Wow! You've been busy! It all looks great. I really like the pattern on the top.

Jessica

Cornellian said...

I love your cat.. he's got that sorta-ugly-but-really-cute look going on.

Also I am coveting the Opal.

Anonymous said...

your knitting, as well as Pumpkin pics, is gorgeous as always! I LOVE the color Dolce Vita!

Oh, and thanks for the link. One more item checked offa my holiday shopping list!