As I've said many times, I try to keep FKD about the strings and sticks but occasionally there is a subject which isn't about the knitting that reminds me why I'm glad I have my blog where I CAN have my say even if it has nothing to do with yarn...so here's something that I feel compelled to discuss...
This may be a sad performance, this may be a poor wardrobe choice, this may be a cry for help, this may even be a whole lot of crazy but.....
I fear for the message the media continues to send to healthy sized, impressionable young girls who look at this and think, "If she's fat, I'm a whale!!!" Is it any wonder eating disorders are so prevalent? /end rant.
Kristi, designer extraordinaire of Fiber Fool fame recently wrote an interesting post about color and how we choose color in our knitting lives. She's even developed a color meme. Here's mine...
1. What is your current favorite color? Green and orange to look at, pink to wear
2. Had your favorite color changed over the years? Orange has very dramatically leapt into my preferred spectrum where is had not been before
3. Is your current favorite color one that is currently trendy? (Do you see it in the fashion rags or on the clothes rack or in the linen aisle right now? How about 5 years ago?) Trendy schmendy - I wear what I like and what looks well on me (never brown or beige no matter how *chic*)
4. What is your favorite color combination? Black and pink or red, pink and green
5. Is that combination a popular one? (Is it use in prints you see in the stores and catalogs and magazines now? How about 5 years ago?) I don't know about popularity in stores now or 5 years ago but the black/brights combo is very popular in professional settings. There were many days in my office where every single one of us (more than 20) were wearing black and red or pink!
6. What is your favorite way of using color in your knitting? (Are you a stranded knitter? Do you prefer simple stripes? Do you prefer just accents at the hems/collars?) I haven't done stranded knitting since I moved to Florida - too hot! I love knitting with rich, bright saturated color and not just for socks! I'm not really big on stripes but once in a while they are fine - I usually prefer a more muted variegation tho. I think color accents in small touches on a knitted item look very sharp without being garish or gaudy
7. What colors look good on you? Any pink, any blue or any gray except the darkest values of each. I had my colors analyzed back in the early 90's and those colors became my mantra - and they work really well for me!
8. What colors look bad on you? Green, brown, beige
9. Do you wear colors that don’t look good on you just because you like them? Very, very rarely and only if they are not close to my face - people ask if I'm feeling sick when I wear colors I shouldn't :)
10. What is your favorite neutral color? black/white/ivory/tan/brown/gray – if brown or gray do you prefer cool or warm versions of those or does it matter? And, how dark? Black or gray - Not too dark on the gray - flannel, not charcoal
11. Is there a sweater pattern that uses more than one color that you’d like to make, but you wish to change the colors from what is published? If yes, which one? What do you not like about the published colors? Living in Florida and having most of my knitting recipients living in warmer climates I don't even think about knitting something like Oregon by Alice Starmore or a Dale of Norway sweater but if I did, I think there are enough patterns like those around that I could find a color palette that pleased me. If not, I wouldn't hesitate to change the colors.
Feel free to yoink this meme and post it on your blog (with a link back to Kristi!) cause I for one, am very interested to hear the color perspective of my blogging buds!
Now for the really important stuff...THE BIRTHDAY CONTEST!!!!!
Next Tuesday is my birthday so of course that means it's a perfect time for ME to give YOU, my faithful and supportive readers, a gift!!
As y'all have come to know, I have a bit of a *thing* when it comes to Knails! In fact, my OPI stash rivals my yarn stash....hey, I wonder if OPI will do "The Fiber Collection" - knitting themed colors!? Ok, I digress...
Anyway, I have 2 lovely prizes to give away...
A sock yarn grab bag with Lorna's Laces, Mountain Colors, Opal, Sockotta, ect.
And a shawl kit from Blackberry Ridge, The Legend of the Shetland Seas Stole.
Here's a close up of the lovely yarn - you could even dye it if you choose!
So how do you win one of these lovely prizes? Simple! Just guess the number of OPI Knail Lacquers I currently possess!! Easy Peasy!
Wish me a happy birthday and leave your best guess in the comments between now and midnight September 18th and you'll be eligible for one of these yummy prizes! I'll pick the two winners closet to the actual number and one closest will have their choice of sock yarn or stole! YAY, I love birthdays!! :)
Here's the P-Man primping for the upcoming festivities...