Monday, February 26, 2007

When something is right, you know it

When something is wrong, it slaps you in the face like a dead flounder! Much like my Forest Path Stole in the *wrong* yarn slapped me.

I've been mourning the untimely demise of my FPS so I haven't blogged plus as an aside, Comcast (my ISP) has upgraded their McAfee Security Suite and it caused all sorts of mischief on my computer which left me unable to blog/comment as freely as I usually do. I think these issues have been resolved so I'm baaaaaaack :)

Anyway, thanks for all the imput (and sympathy) on the ill-fated Handmaiden Lace Silk and my FPS.

As gorgeous as the Lace Silk is, the minute I saw the yarn in person I knew it wasn't right for the Forest Path Stole....it's the dreaded brown! The brown was just too stripe-y and really competed with the lace! I knew it and I should have listened to that "little voice" once again but alas, stubborn - FKD is thy name! Without the brown, I think the lovely pink with subtle shots of green would have worked but who knows? I know someday I'll want to make the FPS again so I'll continue my quest for the perfect "rose garden" yarn that I see in my head....subtle cream laceweight merino with shades of pink and soft spring green - oh yeah! Hey at least now I have a *mission* !

The good news is I think the Lace Silk will make a lovely, simple shell or a very simple shawl/stole. A commenter mentioned the
Fiber Trends Landscape Shawl and I think this simple yet attractive shawl might be the perfect showcase for the amazing Handmaiden Lace Silk.*** Something to comtimplate for the future but for now, my thoughts have turned back to the FPS!

Yes, I've chosen yet another yarn! Third time's the charm, n'est ce pas? God, I *hope* so, my knitting psyche can't take much more!

For take 3, I went with safe and time tested reliable yet equally lovely....meet Mr. Juniper Zephyr.....


Isn't he handsome? It's a lovely bluish green color that reminds me of blue spruce Christmas trees. The zephyr is wonderful to knit with and shows off the lace really well. My only surprise was I found my *usual* favorite lace needles, Aero Teflon/Inox Gray, really sticky and grabby but once I switched to Addi Natura bamboo, everything was smooth sailing. I realize I'm just starting out (tier 2 of 23!!) but I'm having a good feeling, finally!

Maybe now I can resume my KFYS 2007 as long as it doesn't include the glorious ORANGE Trekking I got as a Valentine's Day present from my good friend
Judy or the amazingly soft and beautiful ORANGE cashmere/merino blend sock yarns I got as a *just because* present from my generous friend Emma....am I a lucky ORANGE lovin' gal or what? Just look....


Must be because of reading Claudia since I discovered blogs, all the ORANGE love has rubbed off in a big way....or it could be my resident ORANGE....


Some ORANGE love for all the Florida Orange fans since I know you guys miss him when Mom doesn't post! Now if I could just find a Florida GREEN with a pink nose and pink jelly bean feet, all three of my very favorite colors would be covered, hee!

On a much more sobering note, one of our own and a "neighbor" (she's close to Orlando) has had a serious medical crisis befall her so please send
Catherine good healing vibes and virtual hugs!

Happy Monday, hope your week is full of your favorite colors too!

***I have listed the Lace Silk yarn for sale
here if you're interested!

22 comments:

Beth said...

Oh yeah, 3rd time's the charm - FPS will be great in Zephyr!

Agnes said...

I love the Zephyr lace ... just a reliable yarn ... that bluish green you have is very special!
And I think you have too many orange/pink sock yarns already ... you may like to have something purplish and bluish ... what do you think? Check your mailbox in a day or two! ;)

Norma said...

I'm sorry, I couldn't really pay much attention to the rest of the post, because I couldn't stop laughing at "hits you in the face like a dead flounder..." LOL

Although I did get my composure back long enough to say I am sending the best vibes I can to your friend.

P.S. Wearing my socks right now. No, I haven't washed them yet. I think I'd better soon, though, or they'll start to SMELL like a dead flounder...ROFL

Siercia said...

Oh, I love the new incarnation of the FPS. Gorgeous colour!

And those are some delicious looking sock yarns.

Dorothy said...

I love blue spruce! It's going to be stunning. So sorry you had to feel the pain first. You have plenty of time to catch up! I'm on tier 6, but am putting it aside for just a bit to finish up another shawl. You'll be flying past me in no time at all.

wenat said...

Okay, you wanna see something cool in orange?

Watch this ad for Orange (UK cellphone?):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eIYSBhCjPrU

Then there are the "making of" clips:
http://commercial-archive.com/136239.php

Anonymous said...

Yey, the perfect yarn! congratulations, it was a long time in coming. Your FPS will look beautiful.

WandaWoman said...

Glad you found the perfect yarn for your FPS. The Handmaiden yarn is beautiful, but not quite right for FPs.

Monika said...

I was waiting impatiently to see what you finally choose for your FP shawl. Nice choice! That green color and the name of the shawl, not to mention the stitch pattern go well together! ;o)
I've got an internet friend from Germany. She is lucky and lives near Zitron, and she get's to buy Trekking XXL (and all the other beautiful yarns) for warehouse sale prizes. She was nice enough to buy 10 Trekking XXL for me, and one of the yarns is exactly the same orange as yours. Can't wait to get my hands on all of it. My husband's going to play currier. I paid CAN 8.60 for each ball, including shipping, instead of CAN 23 from my LYS, which I thought a tad bit too high a prize for this yarn. ;o) Anyway, now I'm waiting to see what you are going to do with your beautiful new yarn! ;o)

Carole Knits said...

The Zephyr looks like the right choice to me, too. And I LOVE that orange Trekking!!

Anna said...

ok...the lace is fabulous but I am captivated by that Trekking!!! What colorway is that? It looks more vibrant than the other oranges I have seen them make!

margene said...

Blogging also turned me into an orange 'liker'...but I'm still not 'into' green so much;-)
It does look like the third time is the charm!!

Angie said...

The zephyr looks loverly. I regret that the Handmaiden silk is lovely, but scares the dickens out of me, that's a lot of knittin' girlfriend! I, too, have been attracted to Orange of late. Good to read you again.

Carol said...

Excellent choice! P-Man may think all that orange is his ;-) Hope all is well girl!

Nana Sadie said...

Good choice - the zephyr! And of course you love orange b/c of the Orange-Boy himself! :)
Glad to see you back again!
(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

I think this one will be perfect!

Lorette said...

The Juniper looks more like a forest path to me anyway. You'll catch up in no time.
Not to get you going again, but have you seen the handpainted Zephyr at Furryarns.com? Oh my. There are some lovely colors there.

Diane said...

Forest Path looks wonderful in green.

regiknits said...

Your cat has the most amazing jowls I've ever seen, gorgeous. The shawl in the new yarn is just as lovely.

gail said...

Ohmigod!! Lace entrelac!! It's beautiful!!! The orange socks will be bright and cheerful, certainly. Why is it that sometimes it's just too hard to listen to our best judgment and we let ourselves get too far into a project before pulling the plug??

Cathy said...

Glad to have you back Debi and I'm happy you found the perfect yarn for the project! It's sad to rip out all the work we do, but you are definitely right, when it's not right it's just not right!

Thanks for the PMan fix - you two were missed!

claudia said...

I totally just bought that Trekking skein on the left. Great minds!