Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Ask and ye shall receive

I usually don't post all the specs/info on a project until it's an FO but I had so many compliments on my cabled wristers in my email and comments, ALL clamoring for the pattern!

So I hurried up and have a FO just for your viewing pleasure :)

with flash

sans flash - the actual color is somewhere in the middle


Specs:

Fingerless Mitts (thanks Petra!)

Just over 1 skein of RYC Cashsoft DK in Clementine (uber yummy yarn, thanks Rowan!)

US #2 (2.75 mm) Aero Teflon DPNs

Mods: I had this pattern in my files but I really took notice when I saw them in all their tweedy goodness over at Dave's In fact, I liked em so much I *borrowed* his mods and modified them even more! (thanks Dave!)

The original pattern has the cabled motif over the wrist but I preferred Dave's idea of having the cables on the back of the hand instead. Instead of starting the thumb gusset 15 rows into the motif, I knit an additional 10 rows of the 2x2 rib (40 total) then worked the thumb gusset as written when I began the cables

When the cable motif was complete I knit an additional 15 rows in 2x2 rib and then one additional decrease row where I k2tog 8 times evenly spaced to prevent flaring of the bind off. I then bound off in knit which I prefer to binding off in ribbing.

I picked up 2 additional stitches for the thumb (19 stitches total) and knit 14 rows of stockinette before binding off.

I also slightly upsized the wristers for fluffy hands by using DK weight yarn rather than the sportweight the pattern suggests.

Clearly, it takes a village to knit *perfect* wristers! :)

19 comments:

La Cabeza Grande said...

Thanks, Debi. I bought some RYC Cashsoft just for the occasion. Yes. I bought yarn.

Holly said...

Those wrist warmers are beautimous! And they'd be great on those cold mornings that you don't really want to touch the steering wheel of your car, hehe.

Carole Knits said...

They really are gorgeous. And fingerless mitts are the new socks. Or something.

Dave said...

They be gorgeous! I was thinking today as I was wearing mine that the thumb could be just a titch bigger, so I think you'll be happy with the mods. Iit's nice to see someone else who likes Aero needles. :-)

Anonymous said...

So. Very. Beautiful!!!!!

Anonymous said...

My goodness. What a difference a flash makes. Even the banckground looks totally different.

Love the wristwarmers!

Bianca said...

Beautiful wrist warmers. Also a nice colour.

Anonymous said...

These are fantastic.

Alison said...

Lovely mitts!

Anonymous said...

great job on the wrist warmers - they look amazing

Nana Sadie said...

Gorgeous, as always!
(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info on those, I just absolutely adore them!

Angie said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting the pattern. I've been dreaming about those wrist warmers. Must now buy the yarn.

Cathy said...

Awesome Debi! I love fingerless mitts also - there are so many different ways to make them and so much you can do with them, that they never get boring!

WandaWoman said...

Forgot to mention that I love those socks you completed too. I really should avail myself more often to the patterns in SSS. Great wristers too!

elizabeth said...

So pretty! You're right - RYC CashsoftDK is incredible yarn, I knit two pair of Fetching mitts with it. Wish I had more!

Carol said...

How pretty! Debi, it's like your sending folks sunshine. Keeping peeps warm all over from sunny FL.

kimberly said...

Oh I saw Dave's and I must say-both pairs are gorgeous. I have this on my to-do list but we won't talk about how long that list is.

claudia said...

Those are really nice. The color, of course, is perfect too.