Sunday, December 03, 2006

Days of wine and roses

Well, mitts of Wine and Roses anyway....

Yes, I'm still hanging with Ruben on Sleeve Island but when I saw this pattern in the latest issue of Interweave Knits I knew they had to jump to the top of my holiday knitting queue! Besides the fact that I'm almost as obsessed with knitting wristers as I am socks, I have a recipient in mind who will just adore these!

Aren't they lovely?


Specs:

Wine and Roses Mitts, Interweave Knits magazine, winter 2006

1 skein Louet Gems Pearl in Fern, US #1 (2.25mm) Aero teflon DPNs, approx. 150 olive green 8/0 seed beads, size #13 steel crochet hook (I used the crochet method to add the beads)

Mods: Honestly, I made so many mods to this pattern they should be called "Essence of Wine and Roses Mitts"!

This pattern just said *vintage* to me and I thought adding the beads would really complete the picture! I added the row of beads after the lace border and then instead of the yarn overs the pattern called for on the cuff, I subbed a bead. I also added 6 additional rows of stockinette.

I added 2 rows of beading with a K1P1 rib rather than the "pebble stitch" the pattern suggests.

I followed the lace pattern for the palm as written (surprise!) then added another 2 rows of beading with a K1P1 rib.

Lastly, I didn't care for the purl hem stitch so I switched that to a K2tog, yo picot edge for both the fingers and thumb.

I really love how these turned out and plan to make a few more after the holidays!

I know lots of people are dealing with some horrible weather....oh well, here in Florida the weather is perfection! I guess it's the trade off for living in the spectre of that nasty "H" thing all summer long! (Yes, "H" season ended November 30 - Woo and Hoo!!)

So here's a perfect Saturday sky on Sunday.....



Perfectly blue and clear with a scattering of clouds down by the beach. Anyone want to come on down for a visit? :)

This lil guy is a willing host with the most...

As long as you bring lots of chicken, he's says you can stay forever!

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are really beautiful mitts. I love the added beads. Very nice.
I think you're entitled to some nice weather !

Cathy said...

Gorgeous Debi! I love fingerless mitts - I love wearing them and knitting them - they are at the top of my list with socks as of last year! lol

I'm glad you are enjoying good weather, you deserve years of it!

Beth said...

So you used the idea of the mitts and the lace pattern, right? At what point will you start publishing your own patterns? Because really, you just need to pick a different lace pattern and you're there. :)

La Cabeza Grande said...

Ummm, you know my address Debi :o)

Seriously, those are gorgeous. And I'll take that wonderful weather right about now, too.

Marguerite said...

Isn't that what patterns are for? To get ideas so we can knit what we really want?

I'd be careful with that invitation if I were you. Those of us with a frozen noses are packing our needles, throwing some chicken in the bag, and buying plane tickets.

What could be better? A hostess who knits, a beautiful cat, clear warm skies, a beach, and no H.

Carole Knits said...

I love that song and I love the mitts, too!

Dorothy said...

I hardly recognized the mitts - you did indeed improve on the pattern. They are lovely! I cannot believe how much I love my mitts and plan to make more. I just need to find some beads now to include your mods.
dswaite@mac.com

Nana Sadie said...

Just lovely, as usual! And the P-Man is looking fine...The Meezer says that she'd love to come visit!
(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

I think your mods have made them absolutely gorgeous.

How does the P-man get along with dogs? I always travel with my girls and we'd love to visit someplace warm.

Anonymous said...

they're beautiful! the beads were a nice addition. and just one skein of pearl, huh. i'll have to keep that in mind.

AmyP said...

I love the mods you made to the wristlets!

Windansea said...

Beautiful! And those entrelac socks - wow! Lydia

Agnes said...

That's a lovely green colour! Knitting gloves is so much fun ... and only needs a tiny amount of yarns! The glove kit I got has enough for at least 2 pairs I think.

WandaWoman said...

I love those mitts. I'm going tohave to make some too. So cute!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, so cute! I never even noticed that pattern in the INterweave Knits.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! you added beads! now I have to make them :-)

Anonymous said...

The wristlets are beautiful. Now I want to make them to take to AZ when I do the bead demonstration for the Cactus Needles Knitting Guild. If you check my blog, you will see our weather is very different, but I just love Wisconsin winters--a fire in the fireplace, soup simmering on the stove, a good book for a while and then knit for a while.

Sharlene said...

I had to go look through my magazine because I didn't even remember the pattern! Your version made me look twice though. Great job. :)

Carol said...

Debi, you're one wicked cool knitter! They are gorgeous! {P-Man}

Alison said...

Pretty mitts!

alltangledup said...

they are beautiful! I'm nearly done with my pair too. I used 2 strands of 2/20 laceweight yarn to get the right tension and they are deliciously soft and lightweight. it;s such a pretty pattern. well done

Anonymous said...

Wristers: Perfectly Gawjess! I'm thinking about adding beads to Audrey's socks, using your method of course. I can't see me stringing eleventy-thousand beads onto my yarn then having to schlep them all just to knit.

What if I brought Temptations for Punkin instead?

Knittinreed said...

Wow - they are fabulous! Your recipient will be bowled over.

Anonymous said...

I found you via Polly's blog... your Hedera socks are gorgeous. I've been deliberating this pattern since I first saw it - now it's a definite. x

PS: I've added you to my bloglines.

Jes said...

i'm not sure i got all of those changes you made, but either way the gloves are fantastic. I've been eyeing so many patterns from that magazine, now all i need is the time (and the sanity, but let's leave that for now) Oh and great color on the gloves, I'm ALL over the green right now.

Rebecca said...

Well how did I miss those mittens in that issue? Yours are truly lovely! Everyone seems to be on a mitten bandwagon and I'm missing the wagon. I need to hop on board, too. There is just not enough time in the day!

Anonymous said...

The mittens are gorgeous. I totally love 'em!