Sunday, May 14, 2006

The new camera is HERE!!!!

And it's a BEAUTY!!!

Let me show you....


The furniture is a commode* FKD Dad made for me a few years back. It stands sentinel at my front door so it's a catch all for my many bags. Isn't that chartreuse one a cutie? Notice the Market Square Bag in it's natural habitat!

I was sitting at my kitchen table reading the new camera manual and I thought taking a pic with so many different objects in it would be a good way to put the new camera to it's first test and it came thru with flying colors!


Ooo, sharp! Clear! Vivid! I'm verklempt, talk amongst yourselves....

Ok, I'm composed :)

Next up - this is a close up of the yarn I used for the Mock Pockets Top, K1C2 Second Time Cotton. I LOVE THIS YARN! It knits up so nice, great stitch definition, not hard on the hands and very soft! I had a hard time getting gauge and had to go down two needle sizes but I seem to have to do that with most cottons and cotton blends.



My only complaint would be that the since yarn is comprised of eight strands of cotton "thread" the twist sometimes causes the yarn to twist on itself and it knots up something fierce! I made the mistake of winding my first skank into a center pull ball. As I was knitting the yarn began imploding into the center and I ended up with a horrific knot that took me almost two hours to undo! Wind this yarn into balls and don't get "fancy" with your ball winder cause you'll be sorry!! Otherwise, this is a wonderful yarn and the marriage of this whimsical yarn with the cute Mock Pockets Top was perfection! Have a look....


I wanted to highlight the green in the colorway so I chose these bright green vintage buttons. I love the seed stitch accents, especially the checkerboard pattern at the bottom hem!

Because I knit this sleeveless top instead of the long sleeved one I originally planned I had lots of yarn left over so I thought I would whip up a matching shawlette!



Again, I wanted to highlight the green to match the top so I added some green beads to the bind off using the crochet method. Doesn't this make a snazzy set?



Specs:

Mock Pockets Top pattern from K1C2 --

4.5 skanks Second Time Cotton in Valencia, Addi Turbo US #6 (4 mm)

Mods: I lengthened the top by 2 inches. The pattern is written for flat knitting which I stuck with because I felt the worsted weight cotton needed the "structure" of side seams rather than knitting in the round. The pattern also called for knitting the sleeve and collar bands flat and then sewing the sweater together. Instead, I used a 3 needle bind off for both shoulders, mattress stitched the side seams and then picked up stitches and knit in the round for both the collar and sleeve bands. This made for a much smoother, seamless finish and is much more attractive, in my opinion.

Caryl's Kerchief Shawlette --

2.5 skanks Second Time Cotton, Addi Turbo US #9 (6 mm)

8 pattern repeats for a Shawlette rather than the 5 recommended by the pattern for a Kerchief

About 300 Green, silver lined 2/0 Seed Beads, #9 crochet hook

I love this "set" and I'm really pleased with how it turned out!


And now for some really good news!!

FK Mom LOVES her Mother's Day Diamond Fantasy Shawl!! YAY!! Just look how cute she is....


We celebrated early on Saturday because FK Dad is taking her to a show today. She took it out of the gift bag, wrapped it around her shoulders and wore it all day! She also told me of all the other places she plans to "show it off"...her weekly card game, dinner with some friends, ect. Ding! Ding! Ding! I think we finally have a winner here! I really think she's gonna use this one :)

And last but never least, my P-Man basking in the fading, dappled sunlight....



So what's the verdict on the new camera? I'M TICKLED PINK :)

And I heartily recommend my new Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 Digital Camera!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

* ETA: The "commode" FK Dad made is modeled after an old fashioned toilet which was used in wealthier homes before the advent of indoor plumbing. It had a seat with a door that when lifted, exposed a "chamber pot". MY commode has a seat with a trap door, sans chamber pot....in fact, it's where I store a goodly portion of my stash :)

32 comments:

La Cabeza Grande said...

Oh, joy! I'm happy your camera lives up to your expectations (and then some)!

Cute Mock Pocket top, too. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks for the shot of your Pumpkin, looking quite peaceful in the fading sunlight.

Happy Mum's Day to you, too.

Terri said...

Your camera is great, and you are alrady a pro with it! I love the sweater, and I am also a fellow green lover. You are right, the shawl really makes the set. The beads at the hem were a great choice. Happy knitting and photography!

Anonymous said...

Great photographs - especially the P-Man but the he is jst so photogenic :-)

Anonymous said...

yay! the camera looks great, the top is fab (love the green accents!), the shawlette is the perfect accessory, mom loves her DFS...

and P-Man is gorgeous in the spot of sunlight.

sounds like an awesome day at chez FKD!

Catherine said...

Lovely, lovely - the photos, the knitting, the P-man photo is just gorgeous!

Suzanne said...

WOW WOW WOW! AMAZING! The top and shawl are a fabby "twinset" and you mom! she is so happy with the shawl--and she should be, its LOVELY I would wear it to all my card games too, and to the grocery, and to knitnite, and to the couch, and all over the place. Lovely!

I think there is a shawl in my future too....I bought loads of solid koigu for a Kiri....

Alison said...

Great new camera! The twinset is lovely!

Shannon said...

Everything is lovely - especially that diamond fantasy shawl.

Cathy said...

The new camera is Great! I'm so happy you finally got it and your MOM looks especially cute in her new shawl! The P-Man? Well, he is just too cute as usual :)

Have a great day Debi.

Anonymous said...

I love the commode your dad made. Talent really runs in the FK family! And the top and shawlette are perfect. Now, does your new camera have a timer or a remote so you can send us some modeling shots? And FK mom looks darling in her shawl. I'm glad that she's going to wear it to show all her friends. What a wonderful compliment!
Dorothy (Missouri Star)

Knittinreed said...

Congrats on the camera - and even more kudos on your beautiful knitting!

Anonymous said...

Your top and "shawlette" are wonderful and so glad you have a great camera to share your work with us! That DFS is wonderful and makes it more special when Mom loves it.
I was surprised at your naming of the hall furniture as a "commode".
I am probably showing my age but I always thought that a commode was either a washstand or a piece of furniture with a bucket for using the toilet.
I looked it up and that does seem to be some of the definitions. Does your "commode" have a chest of drawers? Strange how these words bring back flood of memories!

Liz said...

Like I said last night, pictures loook great. And the one of your Mom in shawl, beautiful :)

Anonymous said...

What awesome pictures! I love your sweater and shawlette combo. Especially how you snuck in those great green buttons!

Wow, so that's what pumpkin looks like. He's much smaller than I thought. Guess a sharper picture does wonders for the image. Just kidding about his largeness. He's SO snorgleable!

Carole Knits said...

Love the new camera - the colors look very nice. And that pink set is beautiful!

Hunter said...

Your knitting is beautiful as are your pictures. Isn't it great to buy something and to really enjoy what you bought?

Darilyn

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the long awaited arrival of the camera. Have fun with it.

Your mom looks so cute in her shawl!

Beth said...

What great pictures! Your mom looks fabulous in her new shawl. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures! Looks like the camera is a winner. So is the sweater and shawlette. Tres cute! Of course FKMom looks beautemous in her shawl and the P-Man is lovely as usual.
Ann in Dallas

Norah said...

Wow, great pictures, Deb. Love the bags. Your mom looks beautiful in her beautiful shawl, and I'm so glad to hear she's going to wear this one!!!! I love the Mock Pocket set--great yearn. I always have to go down at least 2 needle or hook sizes too, but on all yarns, not just cotton. And P-Man is as cute as ever!!

Anonymous said...

I Love your mom's DF shawl. Thanks for the advice on the Koigu I'm using for mine.

Agnes said...

I LOVE your top! I LOVE the colour you chose! It is just great ... and I can feel the comfort of wearing it! And the shawl is a perfect accessory to go with it!
And I love the picture of P-Man! The new camera is a blast!

Carol said...

Beautiful mom, beautiful set, beautiful camera. Hope you're having lots of fun with all! Happy Mother's day!

Lorette said...

The knitting is lovely, and I'm glad you're enjoying the new camera! I really love the "twinset"; I bet that gets a lot of wear this summer. P, as usual, looks very contented.

somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

What a gorgeous shawl! I have ordered my pattern, and just can't wait until it gets here. I plan to use some coned cobweb/laceweight silk in my stash for it. And thanks for letting us know about the camera. Some of us are currently shopping for one.
=:8
somebunnysloveDOTcom

Nana Sadie said...

Cool photos! Yeah on the new camera!! I love Mom's DFS! And as alway the P-Man steals the show.
((hugs))

Anonymous said...

Oooh, Debi, great pictures! I'm so happy for ya!
Your mother's shawl is beautiful. I can see why she wants to wear it everywhere! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!
Love the wood potty. ;)

L. said...

The camera takes crystal clear pictures....congrats! I really like the shawl you made for you Mom, and love the pink one in your picture...what pattern was that?

Sharlene said...

V cute "twin set!" I love it--

Jes said...

Everything looks absolutely fabulous! Hooray for the new camera, and the FO's and the fabulous pink, and the handsome P-man! What a post!

Anonymous said...

achei lindos os trabalhos o gato é lindo! as fotos são de primeira .
Adorei!

shoptwinkie said...

These fashionable shoes come in colors of purple, sand and red. They are the pair of shoes that you will never want to be missed being worn by your children. They definitely are good for your lovely daughter. If you think they are only good for daily short and jeans outfits, think again. Whip Stitch Accent Flats are also good when paired with dress and skirts if you are bringing your kids for a Sunday mass. Aside from that, our shoes are also made of quality materials that would ensure utmost care to the feet of your little angels. Along with quality, they were made to support the growing feet of your infants as they go towards being a toddler. This means that the product is durable enough to save you some bucks to be used for the other needs of your child.