Monday, January 08, 2007

It's the little things...

Wow!! We have 20 participants for the Forest Path Stole Along! I'm totally tickled!

I think it's gonna be a great KAL because so many knitter's have had this project in the queue since the pattern came out in the Summer 2003 issue of IK and you know they say misery loves company :)

For anyone else considering joining, first let me say entrelac LOOKS much harder than it is! If you can pick up stitches, entrelac is easy!! The FPS is a perfect intro to entrelac as well because you have fairly large blocks and so don't have to worry about the constant flipping, flipping, flipping (because the knitting is directional) that can be a tad annoying when you're doing entrelac with smaller blocks.

The stole looks impressive and "complicated" as a whole but in reality there are only three lace patterns throughout and they are pretty basic, easy lace patterns. These three patterns also have the benefit of being really intuitive which makes the occasional screw up easy to recognize and fix before you've knit another 100 rows!

So if you are still on the fence about joining, be like Nike and "just do it"! It will stretch your knitting horizons and be lots of fun!


I finally wound my ginormous hank of yarn, it took me 90 minutes to do and that was with a ball winder and swift! It is a full pound of yarn so it's about 3000 yards but still...But here is the fruits of my labor - I swatched!!

The color on my monitor is a little bright but it's pretty close and I LOVE it!! It's just what I wanted for my FPS stole!


I swatched with #3 (3.25 mm) in both a Crystal Palace bamboo DPN and a Bryspun DPN. I like the feel of both so I'll decide which I prefer as February 1 draws closer. I washed and blocked my swatch and I'm very happy with the fabric and the openness of the lace....I can't wait to get started!!

Now for the part everyone's been waiting for....the contest!

Of course the quote is from Dirty Dancing...I really thought the movie quote was an obscure one - apparently not for those hard core Patrick Swayze lovers and brilliant residents of Knitbloglandia! Alas there can be but one winner to whom go the spoils so :::drumroll please::: the winner selected by random number generator is Kristyn of Crazy Knitting Fool!! Your crimson laceweight merino will be on it's way this week with a couple of extra surprises too -- -- congrats grrlfriend!

Since I'm eagerly awaiting the start of the FPS KAL I've been working on assorted little things and short term projects. My first FO of 2007 were my two scarves for the Red Scarf Project but alas I sent them off with no pictures.

Then I jumped back on the wristers frenzy for these Koigu cuties...


About 2/3 of a skein of Koigu PPPM #450, size #1 (2.25mm) DPNs, my own basic pattern.


And these...


More beaded wristers from Regia Silk 6 ply, size #1 (2.25mm) DPNs, about 50 amethyst rainbow 6/0 seed beads per wrister, #11 crochet hook same basic pattern, less stitches. I just love making these - they're so easy and so cute and everyone in my family wants a pair so more will be coming :)

On the needles now is a pair of extra large felted clogs. Sashquatch my brother liked the clogs I had made for my Dad but they were too small for him so my tiny footed sis-in-law appropriated those and I'm making a giant pair for FKBro -- in dark aubergine, bless him - at least he didn't choose black :)

Anyone who's visited FKD for more than a minute knows I love green!! I can't wear it near my face (I look ill when I do) but I love to look at it! I also love to knit with it for those that can wear it, like the recipient of Ruben (who was blown away I might add - woot!!) But it's my opinion EVERYONE can wear green on their feet!


Now, I love green and I love to knit socks so when I saw this button, I had to have it! Isn't it the cutest button? It's not a KAL** so there is no link, it's just for folks who love green, love to knit socks and love to knit green socks!


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So yoink this cute button (on your own server please!) and knit up some pretty green socks too! **I cannot for the life of me remember where I found this button so if you are or know the artist please leave a comment so I can give you credit!!
ETA: the artiste is Maritza of Knotty Bits...well done Maritza!

I leave you with the face of absolute innocence....




Would you buy some used catnip from that face? I know I would :)

Happy Monday!!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's good to know that the FPS isn't as scary as it looks, but I'm still not ready for that. Congrats on winning the major prize at Wendy's too! Any possibility of sharing the pattern for your wristers? I've got a skein of Koigu that I need to something with, but the pattern I have, I'm not loving.

Anonymous said...

Again thanks for the goodies! I will be eagerly anticipating the mail everyday until it arrives. I also love the wristers - they are very cute!

Anonymous said...

Innocence? Maybe, maybe not. But he sure is cute!

So are those beaded wristers Debi. Busy hands and lovely work, as always.

Anonymous said...

ok. Against my better judgement regarding entrelac, sign me up. I found some yarn in my stash that will be perfect!

Be back later to read completely through

Dorothy said...

Love your swatch! I was going to use the cashmere my husband gave me for my birthday, but I think it's too thin. So I'm going with some Zephyr silk/wool in a light rose. Just looking at the pattern gives me chills, but I think it's because I'm looking at it all at once - Tier 1, Tier 2? What's that all about? I'll just worry about on February 1st!

Carol said...

Wow, this is gonna be great! Your Wristers are so nice, did you catch a bead bug? And of course, I'd buy anything from a face like P-Man's!

Harlem Purl said...

OMG! I luv green and I luv socks. I'm so glad to have this button to display on my blog. You just made my day!

Sharlene said...

I too have had FPS on the list since the pattern came out. I hope to get started on my Level 2s however, so that project will have to wait. Can wait to see everyone's progress though.

Anonymous said...

Argh! Stupid blogger ate my comment.

I'd love to do the KAL, but sadly lack the yarn in my stash, and I am at least kind of trying to do the knit from my stash thing.

That said, I'm going to NY this weekend. And visiting yarn stores. If I fall off the wagon, I'll try to land in some laceweight. About 2500 yards, right?

Anonymous said...

The green sock button is so cool.

alltangledup said...

I think that I'll get out some yarn and try swatching this weekend. I've never done entrelac on anything but a square but for some reason this project doesn't daunt me at all... must be because of the support group... ;-)

Anonymous said...

The swatch looks lovely! Waiting for my pattern to arrive - filling in the time knitting a Kiri to get back into the swing of things :-)

Alison said...

Absolute innocence:)

Great gloves! Looking forward to the FPS-along:)

Agnes said...

I am trying to see if I can leave comment here. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm really looking forward to the KAL. I found in my library today the Summer and Spring 2003 Interweave. Couldn't remember which one it was in, so I grabbed both (now I know Summer) so I can start dreaming of which yarn in my stash to use.

Oh and great gloves you've made.

Anonymous said...

Aaaawww, that face, that button, those wristers, that swatch - it's all too much. I need to lie down. x

Jes said...

Those wristies are adorable! I love the beads! Maybe after I get through this ridiculous pile of lace stuff, I'll head for the beads. Only time will tell.

The p-man is adorable. I wish catnip worked on Sunshine. From what fiance says, she is immune. I might have to get some, just to make sure, though.

Anonymous said...

such a punim!!
Your shawl will be lovely in that yarn, too. Any chance you'd share the wrister pattern? (the simple ones, no beads) I'm knitting one set but I think yours would fit my smallish hands a bit better. If not, no worries, chica, I love looking at them anyway...
hugs.

Anonymous said...

was that picture taken before or AFTER the roach incident?

Anonymous said...

your cat is just adorable! what a face!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for my FPS pattern to arrive. Thanks for starting the knit-a-long. I am looking forward to it!

Anonymous said...

Found your blog through Carolyn. Love that face! Thats some awesome knitting in that cabled sweater.

Anonymous said...

Hi Debs My emails seem to be going astray - in answer to your question - sign me up! The pattern is on the way and I have enough yarn to do it in at least one colourway :-)

Suzanne said...

My FKD socks are totally not wearing out! I've been knitting all of my socks tighter now because of the way they have worn. But I have reknit the toe of my STRs and need to darn my first pair of Regias. Darning is not as much fun as it sounds.

Anonymous said...

Oh you always have some goodies knit up! I love your new wristwarmers. What pattern did you use for the beaded ones, they are so pretty. I also love your swatch-the colors are great. :)