Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Lace of my past and the P-Man hears a good joke

Hi blog world!! Long time, no see...miss me? hehe....

I've been really busy with the usual end of semester bollocks
higher learning of final exams, term projects and papers, oh my!! so my blog went a bit fallow. Besides, I didn't think anyone would mind looking at the beading tutorial a while longer since I've gotten such a wonderful and positive response to it! Thanx for all the great feedback and if I can ever offer any assistance for beading (or other topics for that matter) feel free to leave a comment or send me an email and I'll do my best to pay it forward for all the sharing and support this knitting community has given me!

Now I have a whole, glorious six days before classes resume. And, lucky me, one of my classes this term is Accounting!! YIKES!! For a woman who has *never* even balanced her own checkbook, this does not bode well!! (altho, I also have surprisingly never bounced a check!) Send me positive numeric vibes, would you? At least I have my knitting to keep me somewhat sane!

I'm still working on the linen Shaped Triangle Shawl but the end is in sight as I am on row 165 of 188 plus the border. The rows are soooo long and slow now as there are about 400 stitches on the needles but I'm chugging along because I am really eager to finish and see how the linen changes when washed and blocked. Unfortunately, because there are so many slippery stitches on the 32" circs, pics would just look like a tangled mess of skinny rope! I hope this will be a FO in the next week or so and I'll take plenty of pics then! I've also finished 1 1/2 socks of my Go With The Flow socks so they should be a FO and pic worthy soon too.

But just when you think this will be a pic-less post, Lace to the rescue cause everybody *loves* pics, right?

Right before I started this blog I finished Madli's Shawl from Summer 2004 Interweave Knits. I *loved* making this shawl, I *love* the yarn I used and I *love* the finished product so I thought I would share it now.


I used 3.5 skeins of Naturespun Fingering Weight in French Clay and a US #7 addi natura bamboo circ (but knit back and fourth, of course - I don't own straight needles other than DPN's anymore) This was my first experience with the dreaded nupp -- the little bobbles you see interspersed between the vines and on the border. The pattern suggested that you loosely *K1, yo* a total of seven times in the same stitch on the public side and purl SEVEN together on the return row!! I found this nearly impossible as the yo's tightened up to the needle and made it impossible to scoop up all seven stitches no matter how hard I tried! I didn't want to leave out the nupps as I feel they give real character to the finished shawl. My solution was to K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1 in the same stitch VERY loosely...the purls gave the nupp some stability and support and the purls didn't tighten up on the needle the way the yo's did. I found this made a compact, neat nupp with not too much fuss and it prevented lots of vituperatives and tearing of hair :) Here's a close up of the border and those fractious nupps...


Another frightening interesting aspect of this shawl is you knit the border and the body pattern repeats and then leave the live stitches on the needle. You then knit a second border and kitchener the 110 stitches together! A bit daunting at first but not too difficult with absolute silence, lots of caffeine and a kitchener cheat sheet close at hand! (Margene - if you want to knit Madli, you can come for a visit or mail me the pieces and I'll kitchener for ya!)

The shawl was a gift for my Mom and she *loves* it too! I plan to make it again someday soon in black Kid Silk Haze cause I'm a knitter who loves herself some Madli's Shawl and a good challenge! (or has serious masochistic issues, hehe)

Now I know this blog has been suffering some serious Pumpkin withdrawal....
I just *love* this pic cause it looks as if Pumpkin is laughing at the great joke he just heard....A mouse and some catnip went into a bar.....


Pumpkin says have a great week, a good laugh and some knitting *love* of your own!!

43 comments:

AmyP said...

A whole SIX days of rest - WOW! Don't get too relaxed, will you? ;)
On a slightly more serious note, the shawl is lovely.

Anonymous said...

have fun on your 6 days of freedom! That Madli Shawl is gorgeous. I wish I had that issue!

The pumpkin pic is priceless! He seems like quite the character.

eh...I've bounced before, and I DO balance the checkbook. Woops! See, I'm not so good at math either, so don't as me for help.

Liz said...

I want to squeeze that little cutie!

The shawl is gorgeous. I am so loving the color.

Enjoy your little break. Hopefully we'll talk soon. :)

Anonymous said...

Your Pumpkin is adorable, the shawl is lovely (matches pumpkin too). I dont envy you your exams - Ive been out of grad school a long time, but the memories of stress still linger.

Ada said...

That picture of Pumpkin is just fabulous. Give him a big hug from me will you. The shawl is gorgeous and we will catch up in those 6 days of "freedom"
Love ada

Anonymous said...

Your Madli is beautiful! That's clinched it for me - she is my next lace project. I forgot the blog where I just saw one (forgive me), but went to my library and was please to see I actually have the magazine. So as soon as the current lace (Estonian Scarf) is done, I will cast on - and yes, Debi, it will be my one and only lace project. I promise. What degree are you working on? I'm a student too! Just started classes Monday. I'm a senior (or at least one class away) at Washington State University. And, as for the accounting - knitting is inherently mathematical. You will do just fine!
Dorothy http://missouristar.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

Warning - one of my cats is BONKERS over Kid Silk Haze. She doesn't bother any other wool, but she tore a hole in my completed lacework the first time I wore it, after having stolen the skein several times. I caught up with her on the dead run with her "prey". Check out your beloved feline before you do a lot of work.

Anonymous said...

Your offer just might make it worth knitting Madli! Your knitting is so beautiful and she should be a shawl you'll enjoy and cherish forever. Brava!

Agnes said...

The shawl is gorgeous! And I agree that the colour matches Pumpkin! ;)
As always, the little guy is adorable! Big kisses for him.

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear from you again! Ok, here's the offer: I LOVE math stuff, and even moreso accounting and I'm pretty good at it, even if I do say so myself. If you ever need help, consider me your online tutor.

Madli is just gorgeous! My madli yarn is still languishing in her drawer. On day...

Thanks for the Punkin love. Can't wait to meet you both!

Kelly Harms Wimmer said...

Yay! More Deb! And thank you so much for the very kind thing you said to me over yonder.

cmeknit said...

Hi deb, I came found your blog from grumperina's comments...I love your knits! Your lace shawls are gorgeous. I am glad to hear of the success of shine for kiri...I want to make this shawl next. Your beading tutorial is fabulous! I am going to be trying this now!

Anonymous said...

What a pretty shawl! It's about time you blogged again.... Hope the hurricane didn't get you!

Gurjeet Singh said...

While you shop from those fast and responsive e-commerce apps, you also might feel the need to have one of your own for the venture that you are running. Rest assured as we have got your back in that matter. We are an e-commerce Web Designing Company Delhi dealing in the design and maintenance of fast and responsive e-commerce webpages, which will boost your sales up. Consider us as your developer and feel that mountain of sales with your venture.

CSS Founder said...

Increase your online business and organic traffic by hiring the best SEO Agency in Ghaziabad. Yes, PromoteDial provide fully digital marketing services at low cost. Connect with us today to get the best offer.

CSS Founder said...

Are you looking for the best Website design company in Dubai? If yes then connect with CSS Founder that provides always best website design & development services at an affordable price.

CSS Founder said...

Thank you for your valuable and useful information through the blog We can be the right choice for you.
web design company seattle

PromoteDial said...

We can be the right choice for you in the field of Digital Marketing Service. PromoteDial is known as the best SEO Company in Noida. You can connect with us for growing your online business.

Akash Kanaujiya said...

Due to the fast-growing web development and web designing in the world, it is important for any company to have a website of its own, so that we can reach good information about our company to the people if you want to make a website of your own company. Then contact us.
Website design company Mosul

Rio Resort Lansdowne said...

Great post i must say and thanks for the inform Resorts in Lansdowne

Akash Kanaujiya said...

We know and understand business trends, and we build responsive websites. Which is related to your business and gives good information about your business to the people, contact us.
Website designing company in allahabad

Akash Kanaujiya said...

CSS Founder is a very good and great website design company contact us for website design and website SEO
Web design company Norwich

Akash Kanaujiya said...

If you are looking for a good and reliable website design company, then immediately join the CSS Founder and take your business forward digitally. There is no better than CSS Founder, for website design Services, To connect with CSS Founder, contact or visit the given website thankyou Web design company Mesa

Dr. Vimal Rastogi | Homeopathic Doctor in Ghaziabad said...

Homeopathy Clinic in Ghaziabad

Css Founder PVT. LTD. Web Design said...

Thank you for sharing the data which is beneficial for me and others likewise to see Website design company in Jalandhar

pranisha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pranisha said...

Need the Azure Interview Questions? Get this into the blog with Infycle Technologies for having the top interview questions and answers! Call 7504633633 or 7502633633 for having the best software development courses!

Exotica housing said...

Exotica Housing is a top builders in sector 63 Noida, we have a great deal for you, for more information please visit our website. top builders in sector 63 Noida

PROMOTEDIAL said...

Thanks a lot. “Focusing on quality [backlinks] over quantity is what can help to protect your site as Google updates.” Seo Company in Madison

website company said...

“Responsive Web Design always plays important role whenever going to promote your website.” web design company in covertry

Bulk Email Service Provider said...

I enjoyed over read your post
Bulk Email Service Provider
Bulk Email Service

7 Hotel Hills and Resorts | BlogSpot said...

Such a very useful article. Very interesting to read this article. Best Place to Stay in Lansdowne

aquapro said...

Thanks for nice article. Polypropylene Spun Filter - PP Spun Filter 1 Micron

Rio Resort Lansdowne said...

Nice blog. for best hotel and resort in Lansdowne connect with us lansdowne hotels

DKverma said...

Antsirabe

Health care said...

Impressive blog writing deb. Health care services Hope to see more blog writings from you.

peacemedia said...

Amazing! I really loved your article. It was very valuable and I will definitely share it in my network. Thank you. Keep up the good work.
exhibition stall fabricator

vishal said...

Introducing Ultraviolet 36 (GPM-HTM) Water Sterilizer – The ultimate solution for ensuring safe and clean water in the food industry. Designed from high-quality stainless steel and equipped with modern germicidal UV lamps, this water sterilizer destroys harmful microorganisms present in water, making it safe for use. With long service life and high efficiency, this sterilizer is a reliable choice for industries that prioritize cleanliness and quality.

Website Designing Company in Delhi said...

CSS Founder is a leading web development company in Delhi that specializes in providing e-commerce website design solutions in Delhi. With the rapid growth of the e-commerce industry, it is important for businesses to have a well-designed and user-friendly website to succeed in the online market. At CSS Founder, we understand the importance of creating a seamless online shopping experience for your customers. If you are looking for top-tier e-commerce website design solutions in Delhi, look no further than CSS Founder.

India Visa said...

If you want to visit India for a short-term period then you can connect with our India Visa. They ensure you provide hassle-free visas for your family and friends. They require some important documents and offer online visa fee transactions. You have to fill up an online visa form and fill your accurate information about yourself. You can check your visa on our official website.

DKverma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cssfoundergurgaon said...

CSS Founder is a well-known and trusted web design company in Pune. With a team of highly skilled professionals, they have established themselves as a reliable choice for clients looking to enhance their online presence. Their services include not only website designing but also search engine optimization (SEO) to ensure maximum visibility and reach to their clients.

Esha said...

Your blog never fails to impress! The content is not only informative but also engaging. I always look forward to learning something new when I visit. Thanks for consistently delivering valuable insights and keeping your readers hooked!
Regards :
Shop Prada Eyewear at EasySight - Latest Collection